Whole Grain Thumbprint Cookies are dairy-free and vegan, made with whole grains, and naturally sweetened with ripe bananas. The best part? They belong equally on your holiday cookie platter and your breakfast plate.
It’s always kind of magical when nutritious + delicious come together in one simple recipe, so I had to share my favorite whole grain thumbprint cookies.
Cookies are just so much better when they taste good and help you feel good too.
Thumbprint cravings have been a-brewing in my mind since the second I tasted the Blackberry Chia Jam I shared last week.
Fill your thumbprints with my Blackberry Chia Jam or use any jam, jelly, or fruit spread of your choosing. Either way, these whole grain thumbprint cookies are so simple to throw together – you’ll only need one bowl and less than 30 minutes.A #holiday cookie that's healthy enough for breakfast! Whole Grain Thumbprint Cookie #recipe!Click To Tweet
- 2 large mashed ripe bananas
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or flour of choice)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 6-8 teaspoons jam of choice (I used my Blackberry Chia Jam with Lemon and Rosemary)
- Preheat oven to 350º F and prepare a cookie sheet for baking. Add bananas and lemon to a large mixing bowl (mash bananas if needed). Stir in oats, flour, chia seeds, flax, and salt and mix until combined.
- Use hands to form about 8 equal-sized balls of dough and spread on baking sheet. Use thumb to press a hole two-thirds of the way down the center of each ball and flatten slightly to form cookie shape. Fill center of each cookie with about a teaspoon of jam and place cookie sheet on the center rack of oven and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Looking for more holiday cookie inspiration?
Try these One Bowl Whole Wheat Spiced Apricot Cookies!
What are your favorite holiday cookies?