Yesterday I went through nearly my entire day thinking it was Thursday. It was not. That’s today. It’s just been one of those weeks I guess.
I’m not complaining. I really do love a good mix of looming deadlines and summer festivities. Staying busy keeps me on my toes and feeling alive—but I’ve certainly been guilty of putting too much on my plate. (Who hasn’t?) So while I’m powering through a few last tasks before hopping on a plane to Minnesota for some bachelorette-ing (YAY—Happy Weekend, M!), I’m also blocking off some major self care time to rebalance next week. Especially with all of the travel coming up this summer (Minnesota > Holland > Belgium > California > Utah > Wisconsin), I know I’m going to need some extra mental, emotional, and physical space for R&R. I’m not quite sure what I’ll do with myself but my RD friends have lots of ideas. Having some flexibility for travel is one of the primary reasons I chose this career path but I’m still learning how to balance all of the different hats I wear as a solopreneur. I’ve been batch shooting all the summer recipes to give myself a true vacation this summer (and you non-stop cooking inspiration) without feeling glued to my laptop. (I learned my lesson last year—we all need breaks—even though the Wonder Woman side of me sometimes hates to admit this to myself.) I planned on sharing these charred eggplant pita wraps later on in the summer but I just can’t wait any longer. They’re so simple to put together, portable for travel, and full of flavor from the quick lemon saffron tahini sauce drizzled over top. Together, these eggplant tofu pita wraps are so satisfying and delicious but I have a feeling this tahini sauce will make an appearance over and over again on it’s own. I’d like to toss it with a grain salad or roasted vegetables to start—how about you?
- Charred eggplant:
- 1 eggplant, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 block drained and pressed tofu, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Pinch saffron (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons water (or as needed to thin to pourable sauce consistency)
- For Serving:
- Warmed pita bread
- Chopped tomato, lettuce greens, sliced onion, chopped green or black olives
- Preheat oven to 475º F and grease a baking sheet. Combine eggplant, tofu, oil, and salt and pepper and spread on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast until browned and charred on the outside, about 30-35 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce. Whisk together tahini, lemon, garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper, saffron (if using), and salt and pepper. Gradually add water one tablespoon at a time until sauce is thinned to desired consistency. (The exact amount of water you need will depend on how thick your tahini paste is.)
- Remove eggplant and tofu from the oven and allow to cool slightly before assembling. Once ready, fill warmed pita with eggplant/tofu mixture and top with tomato, lettuce, onion, and/or olives as desired. Enjoy!
Where are you traveling this summer?
Make Delicious Healthy Meals at Home!
Sign up to get my free PDF download, 101 Plant-Based Meal + Snack Ideas, sent straight to your inbox!