With back to school season upon us, I have healthy snacks like these cheesy roasted chickpeas on the mind.
When it comes to savory and crunchy snacks, you just can’t beat roasted chickpeas. (Attention potato chip lovers.)
Last time I made them, I went buffalo-style (in this bowl recipe) but today, it’s all about my favorite “cheesy” accompaniment, nutritional yeast. Along with a punch of herbaceous flavor from crushed rosemary, thyme, and oregano, this savory snack is certain to satisfy the entire family.
I also love that roasted chickpeas are travel-friendly and great for packed lunches. Eating well at home is one thing but a whole other challenge once we step outside. This recipe promises to help make that challenge a little bit easier.
In other words, it’s about to become pretty simple to say “no, thank you” to that vending machine.
With two sources of plant-based protein (chickpeas and nutritional yeast), these roasted chickpeas are much more nourishing that most of the snacks you’ll find there anyway. (In my opinion, they’re more delicious too.)
As a member of the high-fiber legume family, chickpeas are also a great source of fiber, which means boosted satiety for added satisfaction and fullness.
This is not the type of snack that will leave you feeling empty.
Packed into mason jars, these cheesy roasted chickpeas are a delicious vegan snack – but don’t count them out at mealtime either.
Sprinkle over salads, add to your rice bowls, and toss into curry dishes for a quick weekday lunch or dinner that’s anything but boring. (Batch cookers and meal preppers, this recipe is for you.)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F and prepare a baking sheet.
- Dry chickpeas by rolling them in between paper towel sheets or a clean kitchen towel and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Transfer chickpeas to baking sheet and roast 20 minutes or until golden and crispy. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container for up to a week.
What’s your favorite healthy packable snack?
Make Delicious Healthy Meals at Home!
Sign up to get my free PDF download, 101 Plant-Based Meal + Snack Ideas, sent straight to your inbox!