Vegan tempeh tacos and burritos are a favorite healthy, plant-based weeknight meal. Quick, filling, and (of course) delicious too, this meal has all the makings of a heathy homemade staple.
There’s just something really yummy and comforting about crumbled tempeh with veggies on a warm tortilla. But if you’re not into fermented soybeans like I am, you could also substitute with black and/or pinto beans…or really any other protein source you’d like.
(Use beans if you can’t find tempeh in your grocery store – but it should be in the refrigerated, vegetarian section, by the tofu.)
Versatility is another awesome thing about tacos, so feel free to mix up the vegetables if I left out one of your favorites. Red onions, chili pepper, grape tomatoes, and green onions have pretty much become taco-filling-staples here in my home.
As for toppings, avocado is definitely a must.
Served with whole grain or corn tortillas and more fresh veggies for topping, this meal provides a balanced amount of fiber/complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and protein.
Fermented soy is also a source of beneficial phytonutrients called soy isoflavones, often studied for their anti-cancer properties. Genestein, for example, has been shown to inhibit metastasis (the spread of cancer cells) even when given at levels found in food. (No supplement needed.)
(BTW, if you’re concerned about the safety of soy and/or phytoestrogens, this is a great resource.)
Tempeh tacos are my go-to’s on nights when I’m not totally in the mood to cook but still want something really healthy and delicious.
These ones are ready in 15 minutes – 10 if you chop your veggies ahead of time.
My recipe makes a pretty large batch because I like to use leftovers on salad, pizza, or more tacos.
Always room for more tacos…
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ½ cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 2 blocks of tempeh, crumbled (can sub with black beans)
- 1 serano pepper (or chili pepper of choice)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional but recommended for some cheesy flavor)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Zest and juice of ½ lime
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Serve with tortillas and top with avocado, greens, fresh cilantro, salsa, etc. as desired.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 4-5 minutes. Add tempeh crumbles, tomato, pepper, spices, and lime and cook until warmed through, another 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and top with green onions.
- Serve with warm whole grain or corn tortillas, sliced avocado, chopped spinach, fresh salsa, and/or cilantro.
As one of my most popular recipes, these Favorite Vegan Tempeh Tacos are featured in my downloadable plant-based cookbook, Simply Delicious. Want to check out 20 more of my best healthy recipes? Enter your name and email address below to view and download your free PDF copy instantly!