When it comes to texture, I’m all about that crunch. Bring on the popcorn, roasted nuts, crispy tacos….and now, my new favorite, these healthy whole grain (and budget-friendly) Green Pea Quinoa Cakes.
Really, credit for these crave-worthy fritters goes to the ladies over at The Recipe Redux, who couldn’t have been more timely with this month’s challenge to create a budget-friendly dish for the new year. After years of paying pretty much zero attention to my grocery bill (and wondering how I can never walk out of there less than $150 lighter), I’ve actually been thinking a lot more about how I can slash my grocery bill to leave a little bit extra for this year’s travels. 🙂
Thankfully, cutting out most meat and dairy already does wonders for keeping grocery costs down and there are SO many delicious plant-based recipes out there utilizing affordable ingredients like beans and legumes, bulk grains, and frozen or in-season fruits and vegetables.
I purchased quinoa in the bulk section of the grocery store, my favorite place for saving money and cutting back on packaging waste. The frozen section, where I found my green peas, is my wallet’s second favorite spot, especially this time of year, when many common fresh vegetables are out of season, leading to increased prices (and decreased flavor/nutrition) from longer transit times.
Once everything’s all added up, this recipe costs just over $3 in total – or about $1-$1.50 per serving(!!) I mean, I think I can deal with eating a whole lot of crunchy quinoa cakes if it means extra dollars in my pocket. Next question: where should we travel first? 😉Dinner's on the table for $3 with these crunchy Green Pea Quinoa Cakes for #thereciperedux!Click To Tweet
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (I used dried red quinoa prepared in a rice cooker)
- 1 cup thawed green peas (I steamed frozen peas in the microwave)
- ½ cup chopped green onions (both green and white parts)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 large egg or flax egg (see notes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- Optional for serving: salad greens, olive oil, balsamic vinegar
- Combine all ingredients except oil in a large mixing bowl and stir until mixed. Divide mixture into 8-10 equal parts and use hands to press and roll into small patties (just handle enough so that the patties stick together without being held). Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cakes to the skillet (cook in batches if your skillet isn't large enough to fit them all at once) and cook until bottoms are browned, about 4 minutes, before flipping cakes and cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the cakes are browned and crunchy. Remove cakes from skillet and rest on a clean dish towel or paper towel until ready to serve.
- If desired, serve over salad greens and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!
Make Delicious Healthy Meals at Home!
Sign up to get my free PDF download, 101 Plant-Based Meal + Snack Ideas, sent straight to your inbox!