I’m about to tell you that cantaloupe + tofu is one of the best combinations out there…so stay with me here.
Because I swear, cantaloupe + tofu is seriously the greatest!
Especially when its combined with fresh basil, which is undoubtedly most delicious (and super cheap/abundant) this time of year.
I seriously don’t know how I came up with this idea but I’m so glad that I did.
It sounded a little strange, so I had to run it by
my guinea pig Dan first.
“I’m thinking of trying something a little bit more..experimental. Cantaloupe…with tofu.”
“I’m intrigued…” was the response that I finally got.
I know some of you might have similar thoughts right now, so let me just tell you, it’s normal.
I myself felt a little bit skeptical at first, I’ll admit it.
But this dish was something that just kept tugging at me. I just had a feeling that it would be insanely delicious.
Once I knew I was going down this crazy tofu/cantaloupe road, I just decided to completely do this thing right.
Basil, sesame oil, black pepper, lemon, balsamic vinegar, honey…just toss it all in there, I say.
Your ‘buds will be amazed.
I’m telling you.
And you’ll feel great too because the addition of tofu for protein and sesame oil for fat makes this fruit salad completely balanced for optimal energy levels.
I call it a brunch salad. But call it whatever it is to you.
I could see it for breakfast, brunch, a light lunch, or even dessert…if you wanna get real wild.
It can be considered a light entree or a side dish. I think it would be delicious alongside a muffin, bagel, or veggie omelette.
Bonus, absolutely no cooking/turning the hot oven on required!
So seriously, trust me on this one. 🙂
- 1 cantaloupe melon, peeled
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed (wrapped in a clean towel with something heavy on top for at least thirty minutes)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Black pepper
- 9-12 fresh basil leaves
- 1 ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey (or pure maple syrup if vegan)
- Slice cantaloupe into about 12 rectangular pieces and slice tofu into about 9 rectangular pieces of similar size and set aside.
- Mix together sesame oil, lemon, and black pepper in a small bowl and brush on each side of the tofu pieces.
- Arrange serving dish with 1 piece of cantaloupe, a slice of tofu, and a fresh basil leaf. Repeat until you have a few rows and/or each component is used up.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and honey/maple syrup and serve.
How do you like to switch up the traditional fruit salad? Would you ever try this cantaloupe & tofu combo?