Wondering how to use fresh figs now that they’re in season this summer and fall? I topped a simple quinoa salad with the grilled fruit, and it has quickly become my go-to seasonal side dish.
Do you try to eat seasonally? One of the many benefits I’ve gotten out of switching up my produce with the seasons is a greater appreciation for more fruits and vegetables.
I’d eaten dried figs before, and fig cookies, but never the sweet deliciousness of fresh figs until I made an effort to eat more seasonally. Some foods become a little bit more special when they aren’t always available.
When they’re perfectly ripe, raw figs are incredible as-is for a healthy snack. (I like to pair them with pistachios.) If you’re in the mood for something special this summer and fall, though, you’ve got to try your fresh figs grilled!
I added grilled fresh figs to a simple green quinoa salad, and tossed it all with an easy homemade apple cider vinaigrette. No need to splurge on store-bought salad dressings here—this one only has five pantry staple ingredients, and you can make it in under a minute!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (make ahead of time, or thaw from frozen)
- 5 halved fresh figs
- 1 cup salad greens of choice (I used a blend of baby arugula and baby spinach)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- ½ teaspoon honey (or maple syrup, or sweetener of choice)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook or thaw quinoa (if needed), and set aside.
- Preheat grill (or grill pan) to medium-high heat. Place figs flesh-side-down on the grill, and cook until hot, about 4 minutes. Remove figs from heat, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together quinoa, figs, greens, sunflower seeds, and basil.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, flax, honey, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Toss with quinoa salad, and enjoy.
What seasonal fruit are you most excited to dig into this summer/fall?
Enter your email to get 101 Healthy Meal and Snack Ideas delivered straight to your inbox.