These flavorful walnut buddha bowls are made with black beans and a delicious blend of chili spices and lime. They’re great for both packed lunches and quick weeknight dinners!
Crumbled tempeh will always be the way to my heart when it comes to tacos but while in search of a reasonable substitute to add a little variety (we eat a lot of tacos), I started to develop a little thing for walnuts.
My walnut obsession may have begun with tacos but I wasn’t ready to stop there. From smoothies to lentil salads and buddha bowls, I just can’t get enough of the crunchy little omega-3 packed bites that walnuts bring to the table.
This quick and easy chili lime walnut buddha bowl is simple to put together but full of flavor thanks to a few of my favorite pantry spices: chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. I roasted cauliflower for my bowls but you could serve these chili lime walnut black beans with pretty much any favorite seasonal veggie.
Prepare the beans and rice ahead of time (or use canned/frozen) for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner that’s ready in just over 30 minutes. This buddha bowl recipe is also great for packed lunches because it’s just as good room temp as it is warm. If you have extra walnuts left, I suggest tacos!
- 2 cups (about ½ head) chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil (plus additional for serving, substitute with oil of choice)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cooked black beans (dried or canned both work, drain/rinse canned beans)
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- 1 teaspoon each chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika
- ½ large lime, zest and juice (reserve other half for serving)
- Optional for serving: cooked brown rice (prepare dry rice ahead of time or use frozen), sliced jalapeño, diced avocado, dried cherries, sunflower seeds, drizzle of sesame oil, lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and prepare baking sheet for the oven. Toss cauliflower florets with oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl and spread on baking sheet. Place on center rack of oven and roast until browned and tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the beans/walnuts. In a mixing bowl (you can use same one used for the cauliflower) combine beans, walnuts, spices and lime and set aside. (You can heat up beans over the stove or in the microwave if desired but I ate them at room temperature)
- Once cauliflower is ready, assemble the bowls. Divide brown rice between bowls and top with bean/walnut mixture and roasted cauliflower. Add jalapeño, avocado, dried cherries, and sunflower seeds if desired, drizzle with sesame oil, and serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Sign up below and I’ll send you an ebook with more soon-to-be favorites!
Make Delicious Healthy Meals at Home!
Sign up to get my free PDF download, 101 Plant-Based Meal + Snack Ideas, sent straight to your inbox!