I have to introduce you to one of my favorite easy things to bake – and eat – on cold winter mornings like these. Hearty, crunchy, satiating, and just sweet enough to pair perfectly with coffee and tea, this rustic dried cherry seed bread is soon to become your next must-have pantry staple.
My favorite part? I made this seed bread using only ingredients already lying around my kitchen and only used one bowl to put it all together too. See? I wasn’t kidding when I told you that I was finally beginning to get baking.
I used a combination of both toasted white and black sesame seeds within the bread and also sprinkled on top for good measure. I love the toasty, nutty flavor of sesame, especially along with the tart sweetness of dried cherries. (Can’t find cherries? Try raisins or dried cranberries!)
You can think of this recipe as a sort of homage to one of my favorite nutrients, fat. Fat is one of the best vehicles for adding flavor and mindfully including fats helps maintain long-lasting energy levels and feelings of fullness (you’ll likely feel good with less food).
I like eating this bread while its still fresh and warm out of the oven (or reheated in the toaster oven or microwave) but you can also pack it along to work or school and have at room temp too. There’s plenty of flavor all on its own but feel free to top your sliced seed bread with butter, jam (this blackberry rosemary chia jam would be delicious), or sliced avocado for even more flavor and staying power. It’s pretty much the ultimate in comfy-cozy. 😉Get comfy and cozy with this #plantbased whole grain Hearty Cherry Sesame BreadClick To Tweet
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ cup dried sour cherries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds plus additional for topping (I used a mix of toasted white and black sesame seeds)
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350º F and grease or line a loaf pan for baking.
- Combine flour, oats, pecans, seeds, rosemary, thyme, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in maple syrup and gradually stir in water while mixing until dough forms. Press the dough evenly into the loaf pan, sprinkle with additional sesame seeds and bake until edges turn golden brown, about 60-70 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from pan. Slide a knife along the edges of the pan to loosen bread from edges and then tip loaf pan upside down and gently remove loaf from the pan. Cut into 8-10 slices and serve with butter, jam, or sliced avocado before serving. Enjoy!
What are your favorite seeds and how do you use them in your kitchen?
GET INSPIRED TO COOK MORE PLANT-BASED MEALS AT HOME!
Sign up to get my free PDF download, 101 Plant-Based Meal + Snack Ideas, sent straight to your inbox!