Bored with you breakfast routine? I have just thing to help your tastebuds wake up and get excited about morning eats again. Tempeh Bacon Hash.
It’s funny, I’ve never been the biggest fan of bacon, even when I ate meat regularly. But recently, I’ve been kinda obsessed with tempeh bacon. If you haven’t had the pleasure yet, tempeh bacon is a completely plant-based bacon option made by marinating and cooking thinly sliced tempeh strips.
This month’s Recipe Redux challenge is to share a recipe that helps us break out of breakfast boredom.
Over the past couple of months, I’ve been cooking up something a little bit more special than our usual weekday smoothies/oatmeal/toast for weekend brunch. I love taking a little extra time to prepare something different to enjoy on leisurely Saturday and Sunday mornings.
This tempeh bacon sweet potato hash is probably my favorite brunch creation so far – my husband also loved it and a friend who was visiting at the time (a self-described carnivore, no less) also gave it a thumbs up.
One thing I love about this dish is that it’s completely customizable, so feel free to use whichever vegetables you have on hand. Scrambled eggs (preferably organic and cage-free) could also be added.
You may also want to consider preparing a double batch of tempeh bacon – you can use the second batch in salads and/or to make tempeh BLT’s. (I promise you’ll be glad you did.)
This hash doesn’t only taste great, it’s also super nourishing. Altogether, it’s rich in plant-based protein, fiber, probiotics, antioxidants like beta carotene, and complex carbohydrates + healthy fats that provide long-lasting energy.
It’s the most perfectly delicious way to fuel up for the day’s adventures.
- Tempeh Bacon:
- 1 block tempeh, sliced into very thin strips
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1-2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 portabello mushroom cap, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping cup fresh kale, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Prepare the tempeh bacon. Lay tempeh slices in glass baking dish to marinate. Whisk together oil, maple syrup, paprika, chipotle, and cumin and then drizzle over tempeh. Marinate for at least 15 minutes or overnight in fridge.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place tempeh slices on hot skillet and cook until browned, 2-3 minutes per side. (Don't add tempeh until skillet is hot!) Once cooked, remove the tempeh strips from the skillet and set aside on plate/cutting board.
- Prepare the hash. Add oil, onions, and sweet potatoes to skillet, cover and cook until sweet potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Roughly chop tempeh bacon strips and add them back into the skillet. Add bell pepper, mushroom, oregano, nutritional yeast, and garlic and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Add kale and cook until wilted 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in fresh basil.
Did you love this healthy, plant-based Tempeh Bacon Hash recipe?
This recipe is featured in my downloadable plant-based cookbook, Simply Delicious. Want a free copy? Enter your name and email address below to get all of my best recipes in one convenient place.
GET INSPIRED TO COOK MORE PLANT-BASED MEALS AT HOME!
Sign up to get my free PDF download, 101 Plant-Based Meal + Snack Ideas, sent straight to your inbox!