I’m really excited to share this recipe because this is also my very first Recipe ReDux post! Check out the link-up at the end of this and all of my future Redux posts (the 22nd of each month) for more recipes created by healthy food bloggers.
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is ‘spring cleaning’ – or using an ingredient that’s been hiding out in your pantry for a little too long.
For me, it was whole flax seeds. Flax seeds are a great source of heart-healthy omega 3’s – just a tablespoon meets your daily needs. Flax seeds do need to be ground up before us humans can absorb the omegas and I think this added step is what led to my poor flax seeds being shoved further and further back in the pantry.
(I usually keep a container of ground flax in the freezer for easy scooping. Freezing helps prevent some of the deterioration of the omega 3’s that can happen when ground flax is kept at room temperature.)
I knew the flax was the perfect pantry ingredient to use in a smoothie recipe. Even better, a smoothie that can be eaten with a spoon.
THE SMOOTHIE BOWL
It’s like a healthy ice cream sundae that can totally be had for breakfast and/or dessert. Plus, toppings. So many potential add-ins. Try nuts, seeds, dried fruit, fresh fruit, coconut, and/or cacao nibs.
MY TOPPINGS + WHAT THEY OFFER:
- Coconut: healthy fats and energy
- Goji berries: antioxidants, phytonutrients (1), healthy carbohydrates, fiber
- Fresh strawberries: healthy carbohydrates, fiber, immune-boosting vitamin C
- Hemp seeds: plant-based protein, fiber, healthy fats
- Cacao nibs: antioxidants, phytonutrients, magnesium
- ½ frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup almond milk or milk of choice, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 4 tsp cacao nibs reserve 2 tsp for topping
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes unsweetened
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 3 strawberries sliced
- Add banana, frozen strawberries, almond milk, ground flax, and cacao nibs to blender and pulse until creamy.
- Add to bowl, top with remaining ingredients, and enjoy!