Today I’m sharing a recipe from my brand new cookbook! This Southwest Tofu Scramble is a 10-minute breakfast that’s vegan and packed with veggies. It’s the perfect example of simple meets healthy meets delicious. (+ I’ll tell you how you can grab your free download of 30NB!)
I love breakfast and truly feel that starting the day with a balanced + nutritious meal sets me up for success for the entire day.
So, what counts as a balanced + nutritious meal?
Smoothies, oats, muesli, chia puddings, veggie + bean sautés, energy bites, granola, nutty banana boats…you’ve got options.
But this tofu scramble is definitely one of my favorites.
This nourishing breakfast provides:
- A solution for busy people who want to add more vegetables to their mornings
- A vegan option that’s just as tasty as scrambled eggs (I say better!)
- Plant-based protein from tofu (look for organic, if possible)
- Fiber from onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, and spinach (so important for a healthy digestive system)
- Phytonutrients (found in all plants aka each and every ingredient!)
- Anti-inflammatory spices like turmeric and cayenne
I’m kinda obsessed with tofu scrambles right now.
I’ve been making them more as a part of an effort to eat out less often and I must say – they’re working. Why go out when you can have the real deal right at home?
The key to the most perfect tofu scramble is to remove as much of the ‘tofu liquid’ as possible. You can do this with a fancy tofu press or just do what I do – wrap the tofu block in clean paper towel and put something really heavy on top to push out the liquid. (I use a cast iron grill pan.)
Once tofu is pressed, use a fork to crumble it into pieces, kinda like feta cheese.
The tofu “eggs” get their yellow color from turmeric, the anti-inflammatory Indian cooking spice that can also be used a natural yellow food dye.
I used some of my favorite flavors for this scramble – chili powder, cayenne + cilantro – but you should totally feel confident adding in your favorite spices and/or veggies. There are so many options! I included two more of my favorite tofu scramble variations in the cookbook.
These scrambles look kinda fancy but they’re ready in about 10 minutes – so they can totally work even on hectic weekdays.
Serve with breakfast potatoes, avocado +/or whole grain toast. Looking for something a bit more transportable? Wrap it all up in a tortilla to create a simple breakfast burrito.
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil or cooking oil of choice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ red onion diced
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- ½ bell pepper diced
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp green onions chopped
- Drain liquid from tofu, wrap in clean paper towel and place on counter with something heavy on top (like cast iron pan).
- While tofu pressing, combine ½ tbsp oil and spices in small bowl and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 4-5 minutes. Add tomatoes, pepper, and spinach and cook for additional 2-3 minutes. Remove tofu from paper towel and crumble into pieces with fork. Push veggies to one side of skillet and add tofu to other side. Drizzle oil/spice mixture over tofu and then stir tofu with vegetables and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Top with green onions and cilantro before serving.
Love this recipe? Want 29 more?
Set yourself up for success with 30 days of balanced, nourishing breakfasts.
Learn how to make my favorite simple + healthy breakfast recipes, featuring:
- Smoothies + Smoothie Bowls
- Overnight Oats
- Chia Puddings
- Tofu Scrambles
- Savory Starts
- Sweet Starts
- Grab + Go Breakfasts
Fill out your name + email and I’ll send you a free copy of #30NB – instantly!