How good is oatmeal in winter? Good right? Well, it's even better when topped with fresh citrus, roasted pistachios, and sweet tahini drizzle.
Seriously though, this tahini drizzle. Just 3 ingredients - tahini, honey, and almond milk - but so much sweet, nutty goodness. I have a feeling this sauce will be used on much more than just oatmeal. I'm already kind of craving it with pancakes, waffles, muffins, and/or cinnamon rolls.
But first, oats, because they really are my favorite winter breakfast.
I can't get enough of that grapefruit + pistachio combo and I wanted to use it again in a recipe that would show off the bright pinks and greens.
Sometimes winter food can lack the vibrant colors of summer but using seasonal citrus (grapefruit, orange, mandarin, lemon, lime) is one simple way around that.
My version of oatmeal includes a little protein and healthy fat boost with chia and hemp seeds. You'll also get additional protein/fats from the pistachio and tahini.
Along with the fiber and healthy carbohydrates from oats and grapefruit, this breakfast is completely satisfying and provides long-lasting energy. This is a brekkie that can definitely hold you over until your next meal/snack.
Of course, feel free to use this oatmeal recipe as a foundation for tons of different flavor combinations.
Cinnamon or chai spice could be used in place of ginger in the oats.
During the fall/winter, apple, pear, orange, and/or pomegranate could be used instead of grapefruit. During the summertime, you can't go wrong with fresh berries.
Feel free to use maple syrup instead of honey to keep this recipe vegan. (I just love honey's flavor here.)
Almonds, pecans, walnuts, and/or cashews could also be used in place of pistachios.
Have fun with oatmeal while diversifying the nutrients you get from whole foods - it's a win-win. 🙂
I do think you should try this grapefruit-pistachio-tahini-honey combo first, though. It's just too good to pass up, especially when each ingredient brings something so yummy + nutritious to the dish as a whole.
Eating this kinda feels like a treat and it packs a lot of nutrition - which, in my opinion, is a pretty great way to start off the day.
- 1 cup rolled oats gluten free if needed
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened almond milk divided
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup/sweetener of choice to keep vegan
- 1/2 grapefruit sliced horizontally into rings and then halved
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios shelled
- Add oats, 1 1/2 cups milk, chia seeds, and hemp seeds to a simmer in a pot over medium heat. Stir in ginger and salt and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- While oat meal is cooking, mix tahini and honey in a small bowl. Add remaining almond milk gradually (1 tbsp at a time) until you reach desired drizzle consistency. (I used about 3 tbsp but it will depend on the thickness of your tahini.)
- Transfer oatmeal to serving bowls and top with grapefruit and pistachios. Drizzle with tahini sauce and serve warm.
[Tweet "Treat yourself to this Breakfast Oatmeal Bowl with Grapefruit, Pistachios, and Sweet Tahini Drizzle"]