Eggplant Curry is one of my favorite vegan dinners to make at home. Spicy coconut curry with eggplant, chickpeas, and lots of flavorful spices make this meal a year-round staple.
This simple recipe for homemade coconut curry has convinced me to say goodbye (for now) to take-out and jarred curry sauce.
Why not make curry from scratch when it's this simple and delicious to DIY?
Curry dishes have definitely become more of a staple on my table, so I decided it was about time I learn to make it from scratch.
For some reason, I always perceived that homemade curry would be complicated, time-consuming, and difficult to execute.
Thankfully, I was wrong.
This curry is ready in 45 minutes and doesn't require too many ingredients. (Many listed are just spices, so don't be intimidated by the recipe length!) This meal is also freezer-friendly and can be batch cooked ahead of time for added convenience.
I've started to really get to know what I like best in my curry dishes.
For starters, curry needs to be packed with veggies. One of my favorite additions is Eggplant - I love the way it's spongy nature sops up all the flavors in the sauce. (Another favorite is potatoes.)
Most recently, I tried roasting the eggplant before cooking the curry and I'm in love with the results. The roasting process (with whole crushed garlic cloves) creates the eggplant that is extra sweet and flavorful.
My favorite curry sauces are also almost always coconut-based.
I just love the creaminess that coconut provides and look for coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk to really get the creamiest texture. (If you use a light coconut milk, you'll probably need to add less water.)
A flavorful sauce is also essential - I used a combination of coriander, turmeric, garam masala, cardamom, cinnamon, and cayenne.
But, if convenience is your top priority, you could also just stir in a curry powder and be done with it.
I could definitely see this curry recipe becoming a favorite staple dish around here. What's not to love about homemade curry that tastes better than take-out?
[Tweet "Better than take-out Roasted Eggplant Coconut Curry from @gratefulgrazer."]
- 1 eggplant chopped
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil or cooking oil of choice
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or cooking oil of choice
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tsp loose grated ginger
- 1-15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 heaping cup tomatoes chopped (I used mixed grape heirloom tomatoes)
- 1 cup coconut cream or full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- For serving: cooked brown basmati rice fresh cilantro/basil/scallions
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Toss eggplant with grapeseed oil, crushed garlic, and salt and spread on baking sheet. Bake until browned, 20-25 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and ginger and cook until tender, 5-6 minutes.
Remove eggplant from oven and add to skillet. Stir in chickpeas, coconut cream, water. tomato, and spices. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked brown basmati rice topped with fresh herbs as desired.