By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest by Potatoes USA and am eligible to win prizes associated with this contest. I was not compensated for my time.
After a long day of hiking or skiing, there’s nothing better than a hearty, nourishing Buddha bowl if you ask me. They’re quick and easy to put together and don’t require too much effort when it comes to adding a balance of nutrients from carbs, fat, and protein – along with a couple tall glasses of water to rehydrate, just what we need after a tough workout.These mashed potato bowls are a perfect example. Besides being the ultimate comfort food, mashed potatoes are also one of the best vegetables for post-workout refueling. Made up of complex carbohydrates for lots of energy and tons of electrolytes like potassium (more than a banana!) for rehydration, potatoes provide the nutrients we need to refuel and perform at our very best. But you know me, I had to take it up another (delicious) notch. Which is why I paired my mashers with roasted broccoli, red lentils, and a tangy balsamic vinegar barbecue-style sauce. Sure, this meal is high in healthy/complex carbohydrates and electrolytes, moderate in protein, and low in fat (just what our bodies crave after exercise) but I prefer to focus on the flavors – and the simplicity. Colorado can be intense and after battling the elements and the elevation all day, I just want to come home to something easy, comforting, and delicious – and I want it yesterday.
These bowls can be tossed together in about a half hour and they’re also a great way to use up leftovers. You can also prepare each component ahead of time and just reheat it all in the microwave for a healthy meal in minutes!I suggest you get out there and do something active, even if its mostly just so you can come home to these comforting BBQ Buddha bowls. 😉
- 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils I used red lentils
- Mashed Potatoes:
- 3 medium russet potatoes washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk or milk of choice
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets about 3 broccoli stalks
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or cooking oil of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Cook lentils if needed and set aside. Preheat oven to 400º F and prepare a baking sheet.
- Add potatoes to pot of boiling water and cook until fork-tender, about 13-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, toss broccoli with oil, salt, and pepper, and spread on baking sheet. Roast until broccoli is tender, about 12-14 minutes.
- Next, prepare the sauce. Whisk together vinegar, paprika, sesame oil, and cayenne and set aside.
- Drain potatoes and add back to pot. Stir in garlic and milk and mash to desired texture (I like to leave some chunks).
- Assemble the bowls. Divide mashed potatoes between bowls, top with broccoli and lentils. Drizzle sauce over top and serve. Enjoy!
HEALTHY-EATING INSPIRATION, DELIVERED
ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO ACCESS MY LIST OF 101 DELICIOUS MEAL AND SNACK IDEAS!