I was initially inspired to create this brussels sprouts and fresno chili dish after realizing I need to up my side-dish game. Just one problem…I don’t do “side” portions of brussels sprouts. I just don’t.
GIMME ALL THE SPROUTS.
So, here’s my new favorite
side entree recipe, featuring the unexpected but delicious combo of brussels sprouts and fresno chiles.
Seeing how as on their own, sprouts + chili peppers do not a balanced meal make, I needed to find something else to include in order to justify my cruciferous overconsumption.
Enter the mighty black bean.
Black beans (along with fresno chiles, lime, garlic, and sea salt) help my beloved brussels sprouts take on a whole new south-of-the-border persona that totally works.
THIS SIDE DISH/ENTREE OFFERS:
- A balanced amount of fiber, complex carbohydrates, plant-based protein, and fats.
- Capsaicin, a spicy phytochemical found in chili peppers that can (modestly) increase metabolic rate, function as an anti-inflammatory, and offer benefits for diabetes and certain cancers.
- Antioxidants (like beta-carotene and vitamin E) that help clean up damage on the cellular level.
- Fiber (aiding in digestion, satiety, and detoxification) from beans and brussels sprouts.
- A side dish so good that you may decide to double up the portion and call it lunch.
Of course, you don’t need to eat this dish the way I do. (In a large bowl usually used for mixing while wearing yoga pants, in case you’re wondering.) You could also try it alongside baked tofu or with tacos or (tortilla!) soup.
Just beware that this side dish might just be too good to warrant any other competition.
- 2 cups brussels sprouts ends removed and halved
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil or oil of choice
- 3 fresno chili peppers sliced horizontally into rings (or sub with chili pepper of choice)
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Toss brussels sprouts with oil and salt and add to skillet. Cook until tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until warmed through, another 2-3 minutes before serving.
HEALTHY-EATING INSPIRATION, DELIVERED
ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO ACCESS MY LIST OF 101 DELICIOUS MEAL AND SNACK IDEAS!