Oat milk is the latest trend to hit the plant-based food scene! Try it out in this savory recipe for Cauliflower Curry Soup with Vegan Herb Yogurt Sauce.
(This recipe is sponsored by Silk.)
I’m convinced oat milk makes everything better, and this Cauliflower Curry Soup is no exception.
Have you tried oat milk yet?
It’s versatile, nutrient-dense, and completely plant-based, too. Don’t you love when all those benefits come together in one great-tasting food?
I want to try making my own oat milk from scratch one of these days (the process is similar to how you’d make other plant-based milk alternatives at home), but I haven’t had a chance to try it out just yet. That’s okay. Progress is perfection, right?
For convenience and flavor, I’ve been loving Silk® Oat YeahTM Oatmilk. It’s the next best thing to DIY.
Silk is made by Danone North America, a certified B-CORP. The B-CORP certification means Danone meets rigorous third-party standards for health, sustainability, and environmental stewardship.
I like to froth a little oat milk and add it to my morning cup of coffee or afternoon matcha, but its neutral flavor and creamy texture make it ideal for savory cooking, too.
This Cauliflower Curry Soup is a perfect example of how to make savory recipes taste creamy without any dairy-based cream. (You can use a similar technique to make creamy vegan pasta, too!)
Like most good soups, this recipe starts with a little oil, onion, carrots, and garlic. After that, cauliflower stems and florets. Then the green tops from the carrots (if you have them), and a generous helping of spinach. Cover with oat milk and vegetable broth (I like homemade) and let all those flavors simmer and meld together.
While the soup is cooking, you’ll have plenty of time to whip up a quick herb sauce with So Delicious® Coconutmilk Yogurt Alternative (another Danone food I love for both sweet and savory cooking). I used basil, mint, and baby arugula, but you can swap in whichever herbs and greens you happen to have on hand.
Don’t skip the sauce! Trust me on this one.
Ready to give this creamy Cauliflower Curry Soup a try?
You can find all the ingredients at your local Sprouts Farmers Market. Rate and leave a comment below to let me know how it goes!
Cauliflower Curry Soup with Vegan Herb Yogurt Sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or oil of choice
- 1 cup diced onion 1 medium
- ½ cup diced carrots 2 medium, reserve greens if attached
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups chopped cauliflower (1 medium head)
- 4 cups baby spinach, packed
- ½ cup carrot greens (tops of 2 medium carrots, optional)
- 3 cups Plain Silk Oat Yeah Oatmilk (see note)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (reduce or omit for milder flavor)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (2 cans, drained)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Plain Unsweetened So Delicious Coconutmilk Yogurt Alternative
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup finely chopped baby arugula
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts (such as walnuts, pecans, or cashews; optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Lime wedges
- Fresh basil
- Fresh mint
- Crushed red pepper
- Stir oil and onion into a preheated stockpot over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in carrots and garlic and cook 2 minutes, or until carrots are tender-crisp. Stir in cauliflower and cook 6 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Stir in baby spinach and carrot greens and cook 1 minute, or until wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in Silk Oat Yeah Oatmilk, vegetable broth, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper (if using). Simmer over low heat 20 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- While soup is simmering, combine So Delicious Coconutmilk Yogurt Alternative, fresh basil, fresh mint, baby arugula, garlic, nuts, and salt and pepper in a blender or food processor container. Blend or process until evenly mixed. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with cooked chickpeas and herb sauce. Garnish with lime wedges, basil, mint, and crushed red pepper if desired.