Roasted chickpeas, quinoa, thinly sliced fennel, and flavorful turmeric dressing make this curry salad a dish to remember.
It may be the middle of the week, but I'm still finding my work flow coming back from a long weekend in Vail for the Mountain Games, which are basically everything good about Colorado—camping, kayaking, climbing, outdoor yoga, dog events—and a nearly even ratio of canines to humans in general. It's usually a good day when that happens.
So gradually getting back to work, which isn't too bad since I get to do things like cook and take photos and share this delicious chickpea curry salad with you.
Have you tried fennel yet? I was inspired to create this curry salad to showcase the veggie, and maybe give you some inspiration in case you see fennel in your CSA box or at the farmers market this year. Fennel has a slight licoricey flavor, which I love to pair with curry spices like turmeric, cumin, and garlic.
To save time, I used canned chickpeas and pre-cooked quinoa. (You don't even need to roast the chickpeas if you want to make this really fast!) Eat it for lunch or as a side dish with those Moroccan Chickpea Burgers I shared the other day.
However you spin it, this quick and easy recipe is perfect for parties and potlucks or easing back into the work week (never mind that it's already Wednesday).
Roasted Chickpea Fennel Curry Salad
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry (425 grams)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (such as canola or grapeseed oil)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced fennel, bulb and fronds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, toasted if desired
- Lemon slices (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
Prepare the chickpeas:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix chickpeas, vegetable oil, and salt and pepper, and spread in a single layer on a baking pan. Cook 22-25 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
Prepare the salad:
- Mix cooked quinoa, fennel, sunflower seeds, lemon slices (if using), and roasted chickpeas in a large bowl and set aside.
Prepare the dressing:
- Whisk olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, turmeric, cumin garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and stir or toss until evenly coated.
Save this Curry Salad recipe for later on Pinterest: