Dried pineapple rings are delicious on their own but taste even better dipped in vegan dark chocolate sauce, coconut, and lime zest.
Pineapple rings are my most loved snack of the moment and I try to keep them on hand for those times when I'm in the mood for something sweet and tart.
They're pretty good for dessert...but you know, sometimes these things just call for chocolate.
I finally had to put together a quick batch of dark chocolate sauce (made only with coconut oil, cacao powder, almond milk, and maple syrup) and dipped away.
For toppings, I chose shredded coconut, fresh lime zest, and sea salt. The result is sweet, tart, and rich in tropical flavors.
Because they're so flavorful, I usually find I'm completely satisfied after only one or two rings. They're a great treat to keep on hand for those moments when your body is calling out for something sweet because a few bites will leave you feeling happy and satisfied.
Along with being so tasty, pineapple is also a natural source of a beneficial compound called bromelain. Bromelain not only contains digestive enzymes that may help us digest and absorb protein, but it has also been shown to decrease inflammation and prevent excessive blood coagulation. Bromelain may also have some anti-cancer benefits, including the promotion of programmed cell death.
Pineapple is also a fantastic source of the antioxidant vitamin C and manganese and also contains fiber, healthy carbohydrates, and B vitamins.
This is truly a snack that will make you feel good inside and out.
(By the way, Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner...
...Don't you agree that, along with some tacos, these coconut lime dipped pineapple rings would be just the ticket?)
Coconut Lime Dark Chocolate Dipped Pineapple Rings
- 8 oz about 18 dried pineapple rings (unsweetened and unsulfured preferred)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon cacao/cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 1-2 tablespoon shredded coconut unsweetened preferred
- 1 lime zest
- sea salt
- Spread pineapple rings on a nonstick surface, such as a glass backing dish, parchment paper, or a cutting board.
- Add coconut oil to small saucepan and melt over medium heat. Add cacao powder, milk, and maple syrup and whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer for 1-2 minutes and then turn heat to low.
- Dip pineapple rings halfway into chocolate sauce and then lay flat on nonstick surface. Sprinkle with coconut, lime zest, and sea salt.
- Allow to cool completely in the fridge before serving. Store in the fridge.
[Tweet "How to make healthy Coconut Lime Dark Chocolate Dipped Pineapple Rings"]