You can pretty much count on me attending any event where tacos take center stage, so its needless to say that I woke up feeling charged up and ready for this month’s “Taco Tuesday” Recipe Redux theme. I just couldn’t wait to share these crunchy avocado tacos with you.
I have shared a couple of my favorite taco recipes with you already – I make these tempeh tacos on the regular and these carrot tacos are a new spin on the classic party food favorite – but I’m about to take things to a whole ‘nother level, so get ready.
‘Cause today I’m showing you guys how to make colorful, delicious, crispy-yet-melt-in-your-mouth crunchy avocado tacos that will blow your mind. Trust me, Taco Tuesday will never, ever be the same.
Have you tried coating avocados with cornmeal before? The crunchy crust pairs perfectly with the silky smooth texture of roasted avocados – a serious must-try for all my fellow avo-lovers out there.
Because avocados are filled with satisfying healthy fats, I like to pair them with a light and colorful pinto bean slaw to balance it all out with carbohydrates and some plant-based protein. With purple cabbage, carrots, and pinto beans, this versatile slaw is packed with the fiber and micronutrients we need to feel happily energized throughout the day.
Your tastebuds don’t really need to know about all those nutrition facts though. If they’re anything like mine, those little guys were hooked from the very first mention of “crunchy avocado” anyway. 😉
[clickToTweet tweet=”Celebrate #TacoTuesday with crunchy plant-based avocado tacos for #thereciperedux! ” quote=”Celebrate #TacoTuesday with crunchy plant-based avocado tacos for #thereciperedux! “]
- Cornmeal crusted avocados:
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 avocados sliced into 6 equal-sized wedges each (total of 12 wedges)
- 1 cup cornmeal or more as needed to coat
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pinto bean slaw:
- 1/2 cup cooked pinto beans dried or canned both work
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 chopped green onion white and green parts
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds substitute with hemp seeds if desired
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime zest and juice
- For serving:
- tortillas hot sauce/salsa, or any of your other favorite taco toppings.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Whisk together ground flaxseeds and water in a small bowl and allow to thicken for about 5 minutes or until mixture reaches consistency of a beaten egg. Add cornmeal to a separate small bowl.
- Dip an avocado wedge in the flax bowl and turn until coated. Dip into cornmeal and turn to coat. Lay avocado wedge in a glass baking dish and repeat with remaining avocado wedges until all are fully coated with flax and cornmeal. Place baking dish on the center rack of the oven and bake until golden and crispy, about 45-50 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the slaw. Mix together beans, cabbage, carrots, green onion, sesame seeds, olive oil, and lime in a bowl and toss until combined and set aside.
- Once avocados are cooked, remove dish from the oven and start assembling tacos. Lay tortillas flat and spoon slaw in the middle of each before topping with 1-2 avocado wedges. Add hot sauce/salsa or any other desired toppings and serve. Enjoy!