To celebrate the holidays, I’m popping in with this simple DIY Chai Spice blend that makes for a simple do-it-yourself gift and/or festively delicious holiday treat.
I love giving and receiving homemade gifts, especially ones that can be used in the kitchen.
You can almost taste the extra love in a dish that includes a gifted ingredient, can’t you?
This is especially true when said gifted ingredient is a warm and cozy homemade chai spice blend.
I love the look of whole spices here, green cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks (broken into pieces), star anise, whole cloves, and coriander seeds all add their own unique characteristics to the table.
Whole spices with also stay fresher longer than pre-ground versions, essential for a great chai masala (traditional combination of spices with black tea leaves and milk).
You can use whole spices in a number of ways without needing to pull out the spice grinder.
The easiest way is to add the spices to a loose-leaf tea infuser but you can also wrap them in cheesecloth and tie with twine before infusing in hot liquid.
Try infusing whole spices to make:
- Chai masala or chai tea lattes
- Chai-flavored oatmeal
- Chai breakfast quinoa
Grind spice blend to use as an ingredient in:
- Muffins, cookies, cakes and other baked goods
- Pancakes and waffles
- Breakfast grain bowls
- Ice cream
- Chia pudding and overnight oats
I guarantee that no matter which way you enjoy this simple, do-it-yourself chai spice blend, you’ll feel incredibly warm and cozy. Just remember to savor each sip.
Happy Holidays! xo
- 16 green cardamom pods
- 8 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces if desired
- 12 whole cloves
- 12 coriander seeds
- 10 black peppercorns
- 6 anise stars
- Combine whole spices in a jar or airtight container and store in cool, dry place.
- Add whole spices to a loose tea infuser or wrap in cheesecloth to infuse in beverages, oatmeal/grain dishes. Grind spice blend to include in baked goods, chia pudding, overnight oats, and/or smoothies.
Two delicious ways to use this DIY Chai Spice Mix:
Enter your email to get 101 Healthy Meal and Snack Ideas delivered straight to your inbox.