While it kills my little dietitian soul to admit it, I have fallen into the not-so-great habit of skipping breakfast.
I know I feel better when I eat breakfast. My energy levels feel more stable, I don’t get nearly as many headaches, and I feel more productive and positive when I make time for a morning meal. Still, I sometimes forget and more often than I’d care to admit, I’m alerted that I still haven’t eaten anything only when my rumbling tummy finally loses all patience for me around noon or 1 pm.
I was in need of a major morning recipe inspiration boost, so I headed directly toward my cookbooks for some old-fashioned browsing before heading over to the next best source of cooking inspiration—Pinterest (obviously).
Out came a combination of everything I wanted to make most after perusing my sources—Golden Milk Granola. This turmeric and cinnamon-spiced granola recipe is soon to be your next must-have anti-inflammatory pantry staple. Of course, feel free to enjoy the granola all on it’s own or try my favorite quick and easy breakfast idea as of late—parfaits. They brought me out of my breakfast funk and I know they can do the same for you too!
I like to prepare the granola in advance so I can toss everything together within a matter of seconds later in the week. Granola parfaits are a great option for those with dietary restrictions (or picky eaters) because each one can be customized. With a recipe this simple, versatile, and delicious, breakfast is sure to become a (happy) habit again in no time!
- For the granola:
- 1 cup dry oats gluten-free if needed
- ½ cup roughly chopped pecans
- ¼ cup chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey choose maple syrup for vegan
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon grated ginger
- For each parfait:
- 1 5 ounce container yogurt of choice (choose vegan/dairy-free if desired)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 cup fruit of choice I used sliced banana, cherries, and chopped mango thawed from frozen
- ⅙ to ¼ batch golden milk granola above
- Preheat oven to 325º F and prepare a baking sheet. In a large bowl, mix together oats, pecans, dates, chia seeds, turmeric, and cinnamon. In a smaller separate bowl, combine tahini, maple syrup/honey, vanilla, and ginger. Whisk with a fork until smooth and slowly pour the tahini mixture into the larger bowl of dry ingredients, stirring to combine. (You may find it easier to mix with your hands to finish.) Transfer granola to a baking sheet and bake on the center rack of the oven until edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before serving. Granola will continue to crispen as it cools.
- To make a parfait: mix together yogurt, turmeric, and cinnamon and spoon about ⅓ of the yogurt into a wide-mouthed jar or a bowl and layer about ⅓ of the fruit and granola on top. Repeat with another layer of yogurt, fruit, and granola and again until all of the ingredients are used and enjoy! (Granola and yogurt may be prepared separately in advance but parfaits are best enjoyed immediately after assembly to maintain the crunchy texture of the granola.)
Another Turmeric Recipe to Love:
Did you enjoy this recipe?
Sign up below to receive more plant-based recipes like this one straight to your inbox.