Farro, black lentils and roasted broccoli are drizzled with homemade matcha dressing in this vibrant, plant-based grain bowl recipe.
(This recipe is sponsored by USA Pulses and Pulse Canada.)
Did you know the United Nations designated tomorrow (February 10) as the first-ever World Pulses Day?
World Pulses Day is a global celebration of chickpeas, lentils, beans, and dry peas, which are some of the most nutritious and eco-friendly foods on the planet.
Pulses are packed with plant-based protein and gut-healthy fiber, so I recommend at least three ½-cup servings weekly.
Want to get in on the World Pulses Day action?
I’m celebrating with my new favorite pulse recipe, Lentil Grain Bowls with Matcha Dressing. (Yep. Matcha dressing. You read that right.)
I had to create something extra special to honor the occasion.
This grain bowl is made with roasted broccoli (florets and stems to keep waste low), black lentils (the caviar of pulses) and a deliciously creamy yogurt-based matcha dressing. Throw a few edible flowers on top if you feel so inclined.
Why not? It’s a celebration.
Can we talk about this matcha dressing?
I’ve tried matcha green tea powder in all sorts of sweet recipes but never savory. Until now.
When I came across the concept for matcha dressing in a cooking mag the other day, I knew I had to give it a try ASAP.
This matcha dressing is everything. Ultra creamy, citrusy, earthy, and herbaceous. Delicious.
I tested with both dairy and plant-based yogurts, and you can choose whichever you prefer or happen to have on hand in the fridge.
While any type of plain yogurt works, keep in mind that the flavors and textures will change slightly depending on what you use. My personal favorite was the variation with unsweetened coconut milk yogurt!
If you use a strained, full-fat yogurt (such as Icelandic or Greek varieties), you may need to whisk in a little water to thin out the dressing to your desired consistency. (This wasn’t necessary when I used thinner yogurts and yogurt alternatives.)
Either way, this recipe is a must try, especially if you’re a fan of green tea!
Looking for more pulse recipe inspiration?
Lentil Grain Bowls with Matcha Dressing
- 1 cup plain yogurt (dairy or dairy-free, see note)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 2 teaspoon grated lime peel (1 large)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (1 large)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- Salt and pepper
- Water as needed to thin, optional
- 1 pound broccoli, chopped (florets and stems)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups cooked black lentils
- 1 ⅓ cups cooked farro or whole grain of choice, see note
- Fresh basil
- Sunflower seeds
- Edible flowers
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk yogurt, basil, matcha powder, lime peel, lime juice, garlic, agave nectar, and salt and pepper. If dressing is too thick, gradually stir in water until desired consistency is reached. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Mix broccoli, grapeseed oil, and salt and pepper. Spread on baking sheet and place on center rack of the oven. Cook 20 minutes, stir, and cook additional 10 minutes, or until desired doneness is reached.
- Divide cooked black lentils, farro, and broccoli between bowls. Drizzle with matcha dressing and garnish with basil, sunflower seeds, and edible flowers if desired.