I may be partially Irish by heritage but I can’t exactly say that the country is known for many of my favorite foods. Potatoes are great and all but I’d take pizza over shepherd’s pie any day. Maybe that’s why I gravitated toward sharing these bright and cheery spring green pesto naan pizzas today instead of the more traditional, Irish-inspired recipe I was originally planning.
Or maybe it’s just that I’m starting to really feel ready for spring – and spring vegetables and herbs like asparagus, peas, cabbage, spinach, and fresh basil. In any case these plant-based naan pizzas are all sorts of green, so I figure they’re fair game for St. Patrick’s Day.
If you’re more into the classics, you might prefer a tomato-based mushroom and caramelized onion naan pizza but if you’re up for something new, you really can’t beat this quick pesto sauce of fresh basil, spinach, lemon, and pecans.
St. Patty’s day or not, these pesto naan pizzas are one of the easiest and most delicious ways to shake up your Friday night pizza routine – as if we needed another reason to eat more pizza.
- Pecan Pesto:
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or substitute with parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves roughly chopped garlic
- 1/2 lemon zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon water or as needed to thin to sauce consistency
- 4 6 inch pieces naan flatbread (preferably whole grain)
- 1/3 cup sliced asparagus
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1/3 cup frozen green peas
- cracked black pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Add pesto ingredients to blender or food processor and pulse until mixed. Add additional water if needed to reach a creamy sauce consistency.
- Lay naan flatbreads on baking sheet and spread pesto on one side of each flatbread. Sprinkle vegetables and pepper on top and then place baking sheet with naan pizzas on center rack of oven and bake until edges are browned and crispy and the flatbreads are entirely warmed through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, slice into pieces if desired and enjoy!
What are your favorite naan pizza toppings?