This make-ahead kale salad stands up to storage in the fridge, and it’s an easy way to get started with meal prep. Keep this winter salad on hand for quick, weekday lunches or as a refreshing side dish for your holiday table.
It’s always kind of nice to get back to the basics when life gets crazy—like right now, when you’re busy shopping, wrapping gifts, and gearing up for holiday travel. I’m stocking my fridge with ready-to-eat veggies to prevent falling short, and while most green salads wilt, this one stands up to the leftovers test.
Take ten minutes to prep, and you can make enough greens to last the entire week.
I like to eat this salad on it’s own for a light lunch (it’s easily packable if you work in an office). The almonds and hemp hearts add some protein and fat, and you can mix in cooked chickpeas (client) or baked fish for more staying power. You can also turn it into a wrap or serve it as a side dish with baked tempeh or tofu.
It’s a salad with all the wintry flavors I’m digging most right now: cranberry, citrus, ginger, and garlic. Don’t underestimate easy recipes like this one for the holidays. Amongst all the heavy comfort foods and cookies, you’ll be happy to bite into something raw and crunchy.
This make-ahead kale salad proves simple recipes can be cause for celebration.
This winter salad tastes even better leftover! Make-Ahead Cranberry Orange Kale Salad recipe.Click To Tweet
- 1 bunch red kale about 1 pound
- 1 bunch green kale about 1 pound
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds toasted if desired
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 orange zest and juice (substitute with 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tear kale leaves from stems and transfer pieces to a large mixing bowl. Massage kale with hands until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add cranberries, hemp hearts, and almonds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients: olive oil, orange, maple syrup, ginger, garlic, and salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss until evenly coated. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to seven days.
HEALTHY-EATING INSPIRATION, DELIVERED
ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO ACCESS MY LIST OF 101 DELICIOUS MEAL AND SNACK IDEAS!