Wondering how to use fresh figs now that they’re in season this summer and fall? I topped a simple quinoa salad with the grilled fruit, and it has quickly become my go-to seasonal side dish.
Do you try to eat seasonally? One of the many benefits I’ve gotten out of switching up my produce with the seasons is a greater appreciation for more fruits and vegetables.
I’d eaten dried figs before, and fig cookies, but never the sweet deliciousness of fresh figs until I made an effort to eat more seasonally. Some foods become a little bit more special when they aren’t always available.
When they’re perfectly ripe, raw figs are incredible as-is for a healthy snack. (I like to pair them with pistachios.) If you’re in the mood for something special this summer and fall, though, you’ve got to try your fresh figs grilled!
I added grilled fresh figs to a simple green quinoa salad, and tossed it all with an easy homemade apple cider vinaigrette. No need to splurge on store-bought salad dressings here—this one only has five pantry staple ingredients, and you can make it in under a minute!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa make ahead of time, or thaw from frozen
- 5 halved fresh figs
- 1 cup salad greens of choice I used a blend of baby arugula and baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- ½ teaspoon honey or maple syrup, or sweetener of choice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook or thaw quinoa (if needed), and set aside.
- Preheat grill (or grill pan) to medium-high heat. Place figs flesh-side-down on the grill, and cook until hot, about 4 minutes. Remove figs from heat, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together quinoa, figs, greens, sunflower seeds, and basil.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, flax, honey, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Toss with quinoa salad, and enjoy.
Use dried figs or dates if fresh figs aren’t available. Use maple syrup instead of honey (or omit sweetener) for a vegan option.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Wondering how to use fresh #figs this season? I’m loving this Grilled Fig Quinoa Salad!” quote=”Wondering how to use fresh #figs this season? I’m loving this Grilled Fig Quinoa Salad!”]