Looking for a new way to fill your bowl? Try umami-rich Shiitake Mushroom Bowls simmered in a creamy vegan miso sauce.
(This recipe is sponsored by Silk®)
I tasted Miso Creamed Kale in California last month, and it was truly the highlight of my trip. Hearty kale and shiitake mushrooms swimming in creamy miso sauce. So savory. So, so good.
Taking inspiration from restaurant meals is one of my favorite ways to relive travel experiences, so I knew I had to recreate this dish as soon as I was back home.
The original was a side dish, but I gave my version a little more oomph by transforming the flavors into a grain bowl. Adding chickpeas and farro (or any grain) easily takes this recipe into satisfying-meal territory.
Another swap from the original is that my creamy miso sauce happens to be vegan. No cream needed! This is all thanks to Silk’s® new Oat Yeah™ Oatmilk—the best plant-based milk alternative for savory cooking. Have you tried it yet?
The flavors in these shiitake mushroom bowls are ideal for early spring when mushrooms and hearty greens are in season here in Colorado. Feel free to swap in whatever veggies are available in your area!
How to Make Shiitake Mushroom Bowls with Creamy Miso Sauce
First, I sautéed red onion, shiitake mushrooms, kale and chickpeas in a big skillet. Then I covered the veggies in oat milk, tossed in some crushed red pepper for heat, and let the whole thing simmer on the stovetop for about 15 minutes.
First, ladle out some of the sauce into a small bowl and whisk that with the miso paste. Then pour the miso mixture back into the skillet and give it another good stir to finish.
You can find all the ingredients for this recipe at Sprouts Farmers Market.
Silk® is a brand of Danone North America, a Certified B Corp. Support sustainability-focused brands and pick up Silk’s® new Oat Yeah™ Oatmilk next time you’re at Sprouts Farmers Market. Get 35% off during their Plant-Based Tastes Great sale running now through April 3!
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or oil of choice
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms (2 cups)
- 1 pound kale, chopped, or greens of choice (6 cups)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (drain and rinse if canned)
- 3 cups plain Silk Oat Yeah Oatmilk
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (omit or reduce for a milder flavor)
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- Cooked farro or grain of choice
- Fresh basil leaves
- Sesame seeds (black and white)
- Add grapeseed oil to a large, preheated skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in sliced onion and cook 5 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in garlic, shiitake mushrooms and kale, and cook 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms turn brown and the kale is wilted.
- Stir in chickpeas, Oatmilk, and crushed red pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes, or until sauce is reduced.
- Turn off heat. Ladle ¼ cup of sauce liquid into a bowl. Whisk with miso paste and pour the mixture back into the skillet and stir.
- Serve with cooked farro (or grain of choice), fresh basil, and sesame seeds if desired.