I created these baked avocado tempeh tostadas for Cinco de Mayo but let’s be real, I’ll be coming back to this recipe for months (and years) to come.
These healthier tostadas are baked (not fried), packed with plant protein and healthy fats for long-lasting energy, and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes, so really, how could I not? Along with the green udon noodle recipe I shared recently, these tempeh tostadas are one to add to your quick and easy weeknight make list.
Nutrition and convenience make this recipe perfect for busy weeknights but don’t overlook these simple tempeh tostadas for parties either. Entertaining guests who are picky eaters or can’t go without a little meat? These tostadas are easily customized with different protein foods and toppings to fit everyone’s preferences.
If you’re a fan of meal prep and batch cooking (and come on, who isn’t?), try baking a double batch of tortillas in advance. Extras can be topped with leftovers or broken into chips to serve with salsa, hummus, or guacamole. Trust me, you’ll want to dig into this concept way past Cinco.
- 6 small/medium tortillas of choice I used a combination of corn and whole wheat flour tortillas; use corn for gluten-free option
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or cooking oil of choice or as needed to brush tortillas
- Salt to taste
- 1 8 ounce block crumbled tempeh (gluten-free if needed; substitute with beans/tofu/cooked ground meat if desired)
- 1 teaspoon each cumin chili powder, garlic powder, and dry minced onion (substitute with onion powder)
- 2 peeled and pitted avocados
- ½ lime zest and juice
- Optional toppings: diced red onion sliced purple cabbage, sliced jalapeño, fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with foil. Spread tortillas flat on baking sheet. (Tortillas shouldn’t touch each other while baking. Cook in batches or use a second sheet if needed.) Brush both sides of each tortilla with oil, sprinkle with salt, and place baking sheet in the oven. Bake 8-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown, pausing after 4-5 minutes to flip the tortillas and rotate the baking sheet.
- In the meantime, prepare the tempeh. Combine crumbled tempeh and spices in a mixing bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, mash together the avocado and lime and set aside.
- Remove baked tortillas from the oven and allow them to cool and crisp for a 2-3 minutes before spreading one side of each tortilla with mashed avocado and topping with crumbled tempeh. Place baking sheet back into the oven and bake until warm, 3-5 additional minutes. Remove from the oven and serve. Enjoy!
How do you plan to top your homemade tostadas and tacos this Cinco de Mayo?
Enjoy this recipe for tempeh tostadas? Enter your name and email for a free recipe book with more healthy meal ideas like this one!
HEALTHY-EATING INSPIRATION, DELIVERED
ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO ACCESS MY LIST OF 101 DELICIOUS MEAL AND SNACK IDEAS!