It’s really beginning to feel like summer, isn’t it?
This is the time of year to stay outside as long as possible, which means its time to dust off the patio table to make way for meals al fresco.
I love tapas-style small plates during the summer. They’re perfect for parties and leisurely weekend days and often seem more appealing than heavier entrees when its really hot outside.
I’m also just a sucker for any type of meal where I get to try a few different dishes in one sitting
When I learned that this month’s The Recipe Redux theme was to create a small plate for sunny days, I knew immediately that I wanted to share these mini avocado toasts with you.
I came to the realization recently that I was doing myself a disservice my limiting avocado toast to just breakfast.
This is one dish that should be eaten regardless of time of day, it’s too good for time limitations.
I also love including avocado when its warm out because its so refreshing and cooling. (Cucumber and watermelon are other favorites.)
For breakfast, I typically mash together avocado with hemp seeds and spread on a slice of toast, drizzle with sriracha, and top with nutritional yeast.
It’s a tasty combo that’s ready in minutes…but I was looking for something with a little bit more oomph for an afternoon/evening ago toast option.
A couple minor changes and my breakfast was transformed into a simple yet delicious summer appetizer.
First, I used a narrow baguette to create mini toasts that were easily shareable as an starter or small plate. (Mine was seeded for some added flavor.)
Second, along with avo/hemp mash, I topped these mini toasts with alfalfa sprouts, roasted heirloom cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil. (I love heirloom tomatoes for the combination of red, orange, and yellow tomatoes but feel free to use regular cherry tomatoes for this if needed.)
Like usual, I sprinkled the top with nutritional yeast because almost everything is better with a little nooch.
These sunny avocado toasts are the perfect appetizer and/or light summer refresher.
You (and your guests) will completely forget that they’re “healthy.”
Not that being healthy is a bad thing, of course…
- 1/2 baguette cut into thin slices (whole grain preferred)
- 1 pint 2 cups cherry tomatoes (I used heirloom for color)
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 avocados I had some leftover, could probably get away with 1 1/2
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts or any sprout or micro-green
- 1/4 cup basil chopped into thin ribbons
- Nutritional yeast optional
- Preheat oven to 450ºF and toast bread. (I just put the bread slices on a baking sheet in the oven while it was preheating.) Remove bread from oven, transfer to a flat surface such as a cutting board, and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss tomatoes with oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to the baking sheet and roast in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until soft and browned in some areas. Set aside.
- Using the same bowl, mash together avocados and hemp seeds. (I like to leave some chunks.)
- Spread mashed avocado generously on one side of each slice of toast. Top each with a small handful of sprouts.
- Transfer roasted tomatoes back to the bowl and toss with chopped basil. Spoon tomatoes on top of toast slices and sprinkle with nutritional yeast if desired before serving.
[Tweet “Try this small plate for sunny days: Roasted Tomato Avocado Toasts #TheRecipeRedux”]