This month The Recipe Redux challenged us to come up with a breakfast dish that's packed with savory flavor and satisfying protein.
Leftovers are one of the most underrated breakfast foods. I'm amazed by how easily last night's dinner evolves into a simple, satisfying buddha bowl.
I ate lots of sweet breakfasts in the past, but since making more of a conscious effort to honor my body's cravings, I've noticed that savory meals are really what I'm after most days. It's also easier for me to pack more fiber and protein into savory breakfasts, and I definitely notice a difference in terms of my energy levels and and how full and satisfied I feel with veggies, whole grains, and an egg in my morning meal.
I used leftover farro (a whole grain) and steamed kale to form the base of this savory breakfast bowl. The sauce is one of my favorites—a delicious savory miso sauce (similar to the one I used to make Miso Roasted Root Vegetables) for some extra gut-boosting probiotics and umami flavor.
To make this bowl vegan, use scrambled tofu instead of the egg, and maple syrup instead of honey. If you aren't vegan, go ahead and toss that egg on top! There's no need to fear eggs—they're one of the most nutrient dense foods out there.
Because they utilize leftovers, savory breakfast bowls are perfect for reducing food waste and saving on your food budget. They're also ready in just a few minutes if you have the grains and veggies prepped ahead of time—but the energy you get out of them will last for hours. The perfect fix for hectic mornings when you need lots of fuel!
Savory Miso Kale Breakfast Bowls
- 1 cup cooked farro or leftover whole grain of choice
- 2 cups steamed kale or leftover vegetable of choice
- 2 eggs substitute with scrambled tofu
- ½ peeled pitted, and quartered avocado
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes
- Miso Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon miso
- ½ teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Cook farro and steam kale (if needed), divide between two bowls, and set aside.
- Whisk together Miso Sauce ingredients, and set aside.
- Cook eggs as desired. To soft boil: Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a lidded pot. Remove from heat and drop in eggs. Cover the pot and allow to sit 7-10 minutes, or until the whites are opaque, and yolks cooked to desired consistency. Carefully peel, and divide between bowls.
- Add avocado, cucumber, and sun dried tomatoes to the bowls, and drizzle miso sauce on top. Enjoy!
[clickToTweet tweet="Savory breakfast bowls are the perfect #meatless breakfast dish for using up #leftovers!" quote="Savory breakfast bowls are the perfect #meatless breakfast dish for using up #leftovers!"]