Squash toast is a tasty appetizer for Thanksgiving and holiday parties. Creamy goat cheese (or nut cheese) is slathered on toasted bread and topped with mashed squash and a flavorful Brussels sprouts slaw.
If you’re looking for a new recipe to add to the mix, you can’t go wrong with these butternut squash toast slices.
There are four basic layers. First, a toasted baguette. Next, a creamy slather of goat cheese (or nut cheese if you prefer). Third, mashed up roasted butternut squash. Finally, a dollop of fresh veggie slaw with sweet-and-tart flavor from cranberries and apple cider vinaigrette.
It’s the ideal fresh accompaniment to all the rest of the holidays’ decadence.
Serve it as an appetizer or eat this squash toast for a light, post-meal snack. It’s also delicious as a side with a bowl of soup for lunch.
I mean, really, when is it not a good time to eat fancy toast?
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or oil of choice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel (bulb and fronds)
- 1 cup thinly sliced brussels sprouts
- 1 cup thinly sliced radicchio
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- ¼ cup dry cranberries
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 baguette sliced into 24 pieces and toasted (see note)
- 8 ounces spreadable goat cheese or spreadable nut cheese, see note
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir cubed squash, olive oil, and salt and pepper, and transfer to baking sheet. Place on center rack of oven and roast 25 minutes, or until you can easily pierce with a fork. Remove from oven and use a potato masher to mash squash. Set aside.
- Stir fennel, brussels sprouts, radicchio, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, extra virgin olive oil, cider vinegar, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place toasted bread on a flat surface and spread goat cheese on one side. Add a spoonful of mashed butternut squash and press it into the goat cheese so it sticks. Spoon slaw on top. Repeat this process until all ingredients are used.
Toast bread in a toaster oven or under broiler for 2 minutes each side, or until golden brown.
Vegan variation: use spreadable nut cheese, such as Kite Hill brand, instead of goat cheese.
Make ahead: Roast squash up to two days in advance.
Like what you see? Save this butternut squash toast recipe on Pinterest or share it with a friend.