These Grilled Summer Vegetable Foil Packs are sponsored by USA Pulses & Pulse Canada. As a proud pulse partner, I’m sharing a series of healthy recipes featuring chickpeas, dry peas, lentils, and beans this year. (Bookmark the series index for easy access to all of my #HalfCupHabit recipes!)
When I was a kid, summer was mine—time for biking around town, perfecting my s’mores game, and dancing along to music videos on MTV. Summer’s a little bit different now that I’ve reached my thirties. Vacation doesn’t last 12 weeks (can you even imagine?!), but there’s still plenty of fun to be had.
For us, summer is a time to pack up our bags, lather on the sunscreen, and get out into the wilderness—but we’re not exactly roughing it when we get out there. Dan didn’t flinch one bit when he found the 15 bottles of dried herbs and spices I packed for our latest road trip. I was equally unsurprised by his collection of sour beers deemed essential for overnight backpacking adventures. The meals we share together underneath the stars make all that extra weight worthwhile.
When we’re car camping and in the mood for something really simple, I almost always turn to our trusty roll of aluminum foil. It doesn’t get any easier than tossing together some fresh vegetables, fiber- and protein-packed pulses (beans, dry peas, chickpeas, or lentils), and a few dashes from my well-stocked traveling spice cabinet. Once we’re finished wrapping it all up in foil packs (en papillote-style), we’re able to sit back and let the grill—or the campfire—do the work for us.
These Summer Vegetable Foil Packs are made with sweet corn and local russet potatoes we picked up in Idaho, creamy and satisfying white kidney (cannellini) beans, and a generous dash of smoked paprika for flavor. We ate them last night underneath the Oregon stars, totally roughing it, of course, with sour beers in hand.
Ad: No need to rough it on your next camping trip—try Summer Vegetable Foil Packs! #HalfCupHabitClick To Tweet
- 2 ears of corn husks removed and halved
- 2 chopped russet potatoes or potato of choice
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 chopped zucchini
- ½ chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup cooked white kidney cannellini beans
- 4 cloves smashed garlic
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or oil of choice, plus additional for serving
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast substitute with your favorite cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs for serving cilantro, basil, and/or parsley
- Preheat the grill to medium heat and lay two pieces of aluminum foil on a flat surface.
- Toss together corn, potatoes, pepper, zucchini, onion, beans, garlic, lemon, oil, paprika, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Divide mixture in half and spoon onto the center of each piece of foil. Pull the ends of the foil pieces up to wrap contents (add a second layer of foil if needed) and place each packet on the grill. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 35-45 minutes.
- Remove foil packs from the grill, and allow them to cool slightly before unwrapping. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and drizzle with more oil before serving. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite summer camping meal?