This 10-minute breakfast yogurt bowl is inspired by Indian golden milk, with whole milk yogurt, warm honey, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and black pepper.
(This post is sponsored by Wallaby Organic®. As always, all opinions are my own.)
Is there any better grab-and-eat breakfast than yogurt? In my opinion, this is especially true when it’s Wallaby Organic Whole Milk Yogurt topped with fruit.
Their Aussie Greek Style Yogurt has a thick and creamy texture that’s just mouthwateringly good. As part of Danone North America, Wallaby Organic is also a Certified B Corporation®, which means they're committed to high environmental and social standards. Plus, the satisfying blend of protein and fat from whole milk yogurt always helps me get my day going.
Even though yogurt is good all on its own, if you have even ten minutes, try this honey turmeric bowl for your next morning meal. Inspired by Indian turmeric milk (also called golden milk or masala haldi doodh), this spiced yogurt bowl is worth every little bit of extra effort. (And it really is just a little bit, I promise.)
Here's what you'll need to make a Honey Turmeric Yogurt Bowl at home.
- Wallaby Organic Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
- Turmeric (ground)
- Cinnamon (ground)
- Ginger (ground)
- Black pepper
- Shelled pistachios (roasted and salted)
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a spice from the root of the turmeric plant, which belongs to the ginger family. It's used primarily in Indian and other Asian recipes and known for its bright yellow color.
Curcumin, an active phytonutrient in turmeric, is currently being studied for its potential adaptogenic effects, too. (An adaptogen is a compound traditionally considered to help the body better adapt to stress.)
Stirring turmeric into yogurt, smoothies, and savory sauces is an easy way to add more of this classic Indian spice to your everyday life. I use ground turmeric for this recipe, which you can find in the spice aisle of most grocery stores.
This yogurt bowl recipe is about as simple as it gets and a great option for beginners or someone who doesn't have a lot of extra time for meal prep.
To start, scoop the yogurt into a mixing bowl and then add in the spices: turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and black pepper. Heat up a little honey (warming it makes it easier to pour and mix) and then add that to the bowl, too.
Once you have all of the ingredients together, stir it up. Keep mixing until the yogurt turns light golden yellow and is no longer streaky.
When you're ready to serve, divide the yogurt between bowls (or jars with lids if you're prepping these for later).
Then, add the toppings. I like roasted pistachios, sliced strawberries, and another drizzle of warm honey, but you can really add anything that sounds good to you. Feel free to get creative and make adaptations to the recipe!
How to Soften Honey That is Hard or Crystalized
Is your honey hardened, crystallized, or just challenging to pour? Place the honey container in a bowl of hot (not boiling) water for about ten minutes, or until the honey softens. Tip the container over, and the honey should be easier to pour. (Find more detailed instructions here.)
Meal Prep and Storage
If you're making these ahead of time, cover (or transfer to glass jars with lids) and store the fully prepared yogurt bowls in the fridge for up to a week. If you want the pistachios to stay as crunchy as possible, store them in a separate airtight container.
Ingredient Substitutions and Serving Suggestions
- Instead of honey, substitute maple syrup or agave nectar if desired.
- Use any type of nuts as a topping: pecans, almonds, walnuts, and macadamia nuts all work well.
- If you don't have strawberries, try blueberries, raspberries, sliced banana, pomegranate, or mango. Substitute frozen fruit (thawed) or canned fruit (drained) if desired.
- If you don't have cinnamon, ginger, or black pepper (or don't like one or more of these spices), feel free to omit them.
Best Recipes to Serve With
- Mushroom Goat Cheese Frittata
- Banana Pecan Oat Muffins
- Savory Miso Kale Breakfast Bowls
- Watermelon Chia Frescas
- Roasted Tomato Avocado Toast
Honey Turmeric Yogurt Bowl
- 3 cups Wallaby Organic Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey, warmed
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, roasted and salted
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- Warm honey for serving
- Stir yogurt, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, pepper, and honey until evenly mixed. Divide between 4 bowls.
- Top with pistachios, strawberries, and additional honey if desired.
Love this recipe?
If you enjoyed this recipe, consider leaving a five-star review above. This helps others find the recipe so they can try it, too!