Looking for an Asian-inspired side to add to the menu? This Shaved Carrot Seaweed Salad is ready in 20 minutes, but the best part is the tangy, sesame-orange vinaigrette.
Side dishes are completely underrated. A colorful, full-flavored salad can take your stir-fry, ramen, or buddha bowl to the next level. Sides can also help you stretch out leftovers or feed a crowd when you're having friends over.
I love this carrot seaweed salad, because it's crunchy and tangy, and not at all difficult to put together. Kind of like the cucumber seaweed salad I shared a while back, but I upped the ante a little bit this time with orange-sesame dressing. It's especially delicious now that citrus fruits are in season. (Fair warning: you may want to make a double batch so you have extra for marinating fish or tofu or tossing with frozen edamame.)
I used a mandoline slicer, so it really only took a few minutes to prep more than enough shaved carrots for the dish. If you don't have a mandoline slicer, you can use a vegetable peeler to get a similar effect. (And if you're looking for a great carrot recipe that doesn't require all the slicing, try these whole-roasted carrots with harissa.)
Quick, easy, and flavorful. It's time to give side dishes the spotlight, and this Shaved Carrot Seaweed Salad couldn't be more apt to steal the show.
Shaved Rainbow Carrot Seaweed Salad
- 1 bunch rainbow carrots, quartered (about 3 ¼ cups)
- ¼ cup crumbled seaweed snacks (gluten-free) or crumbled nori
- ½ tablespoon white sesame seeds, toasted if desired
- ½ tablespoon black sesame seeds, toasted if desired (optional)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon tamari (gluten-free)
- Use mandoline slicer (with hand guard) set to 1/16-inch. Carefully slice carrots lengthwise. Transfer sliced carrots to a large mixing bowl. Stir in crumbled seaweed snacks (or nori) and sesame seeds. Set aside.
- whisk together sesame oil, rice vinegar, orange peel, orange juice, ginger, and tamari.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir until carrots are evenly coated.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to three days.
Like what you see? Save this Carrot Seaweed Salad on Pinterest or share it with a friend.