Mushroom avocado toast. A delicious recipe for savory-breakfast lovers. Topped with white beans for plant-based protein!
Sweet or savory—where do you stand?
After looking back on the breakfast recipes I've shared over the years, I noticed almost everything is fruity and sweet. Funny, because I'm a long-standing member of Team Savory. Don't get me wrong, I love a good stack of pancakes, a warm batch of hearty muffins, or a colorful fruit smoothie every once in awhile. (And especially when brunching over the weekend.)
Most mornings, though, I go for a quick bite that's filled with savory goodness. That's where this mushroom avocado toast comes into play.
I'm a big fan of eggs at breakfast—they're fast to cook, super satisfying (high in protein and fat), and delicious on toast, tacos, and grain bowls. But not everyone loves them as much as I do (my husband, for example), and I've noticed a serious need for more egg-free recipes that fall on the savory side of things.
To make an equally nourishing breakfast, I needed to find protein and fat elsewhere. The combination of white cannellini beans (protein) and avocado (fat) is perfect for the job. Fiber is just another added bonus!
I'm telling you, you'll feel energized for hours.
To satisfy my savory-breakfast needs, I loaded this recipe up with mushrooms and miso paste. All the umami, please. All the time.
You can really use any mushrooms you have on hand for this recipe. I found white beech mushrooms the other day and had to give them a try. They're like oyster mushrooms—small enough that you don't need to chop them (except for a singular cut at the very bottom to separate the caps). They cook relatively quickly and have a mild, nutty flavor that's great for breakfast.
Protein. Fat. And all the umami-goodness a person could ask for. If you aren't already a member of Team Savory, be prepared to switch sides for good.
Mushroom Bean Avocado Toast
- 1 medium avocado, mashed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 ounces mushrooms (such as beech mushrooms, see note) (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup cooked cannellini beans (see note)
- 1 ounce microgreens (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices whole grain bread, toasted (see note)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional garnish)
- Combine mashed avocado and lemon juice and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to a hot, greased skillet and cook on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in beans and microgreens and turn off heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk miso paste with 1 tablespoon water. Pour miso over mushrooms and beans. Stir in balsamic vinegar and set aside.
- Spread avocado on one side of each piece of toasted bread. Spoon mushroom and bean mixture on top. Garnish with sesame seeds if desired.
p style="text-align: center;">(Hover over the image below to save this recipe on Pinterest.)