This vibrant, antioxidant-rich dragon fruit smoothie tastes just as good as it looks. It’s the perfect fruity smoothie to make year-round for breakfast or as a snack.
Sweet and tart berry flavor with a punch of zippy lime and vibrant color from pink dragon fruit (also called dragonfruit or pitaya.) Find the pureed pink dragon fruit packs in the frozen section of your grocery store.
As much as I love warm breakfasts like oatmeal and egg stratas, I always like to keep a few great smoothie recipes in mind for when the mood strikes.
This Berry Dragon Fruit Smoothie recipe is easy and convenient for meals and snacks on-the-go.
healthy breakfast smoothie formula
If you want to make a customized smoothie instead, add something from each category below:
- start with fruit: bananas, berries, apple, dragon fruit, mango, kiwi, peaches, pineapple
- add some greens (optional): kale, spinach, collard greens
- add some fats: chia seeds, ground flax, nut butter, avocado, yogurt
- step-up the flavor: lemon, mint, turmeric, ginger, lime, honey, vanilla
- finish with liquid: your favorite milk, fruit juice, coconut water
where to find dragon fruit in stores
In this smoothie, the pink dragon fruit is the visual star. Dragon fruit is also sometimes called dragonfruit or pitaya. You can usually find it year-round in the frozen section of grocery stores. (Look in specialty or health-focused markets if you’re having any trouble.) You can also sometimes find whole dragon fruit in the fresh produce area.
never tried this fruit before?
Dragon fruit’s hue may be vibrant, but the flavor is actually pretty mild. Some describe it as a mix between a kiwi and pear. In this smoothie recipe, the flavor is brightened by berries, lime, and a touch of freshly grated ginger.
storing dragon fruit
Fresh dragon fruit will keep on the counter for a few days or even longer in the fridge.
Frozen dragon fruit, along with the frozen raspberries and blackberries will last around 6-9 months in the freezer.
this dragon fruit smoothie is so simple to make:
Simply blend frozen raspberries, blackberries, dragon fruit, strawberry yogurt, chia seeds, ginger, lime, and milk until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a little more milk. If it’s too thin, add more fruit or thicken with more chia seeds.
You can make this smoothie ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours if you want.
smoothie substitutions and switches
You can substitute plain or vanilla yogurt for the strawberry yogurt.
Use dairy-free yogurt or canned coconut milk in place of strawberry yogurt to make this recipe vegan.
You can also swap out the raspberries and blackberries for any fresh or frozen berries you have on hand.
Need more smoothie inspiration? Here are more recipes to try:
- Berry Coconut Water Smoothie
- Pineapple Mango Papaya Smoothie
- Energizing Matcha Smoothie
- Vegan Mango Orange Smoothie
- Wild Blueberry Beet Smoothie
- Coconut Melon Avocado Smoothie Bowl
Berry Dragon Fruit Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 ¾ cups frozen pink dragon fruit (200 grams)
- ½ cup frozen blackberries
- 5.3 ounces strawberry Greek yogurt (150 grams)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon lime juice (½ lime)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- chia seeds
- Add raspberries, dragon fruit, blackberries, yogurt, chia seeds, lime, and ginger to blender container. Add almond milk, cover, and blend on high until smooth. Pause to scrape the sides of the container with a spatula as needed. If the smoothie is too thick, pour in as much almond milk as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Pour smoothie into a glass and top with additional chia seeds and berries if desired.
Looking for More Vegetarian Recipes?
My Easy Vegetarian Meal Prep ebook includes plant-based nutrition tips, 4 weekly meal plans, meal planning formulas and templates, and 50 make-ahead recipes that will help you:
- start and maintain a consistent meal prep routine
- learn how to effortlessly put together satisfying vegetarian meals
- confidently get all of the nutrients you need from plants
- avoid feelings of stress, boredom, and overwhelm in the kitchen
- make mealtimes easier and more enjoyable
Get Easy Vegetarian Meal Prep here.