If you're like me and love hearty salads and grazing at lunchtime, you'll love this packable (and vegan) deconstructed sushi salad.
It's pretty easy to fall into a lunchtime rut, especially when you need ideas that are quick, convenient, packable, nutritious, satisfying....and most importantly, delicious.
So, I was glad to learn that this month's The Recipe Redux challenge is to stop "limpin' along for lunch" by creating an exciting midday meal that can be packed ahead of time.
This sushi salad seemed like just the ticket.
I sectioned off each of the toppings because it makes it easier to change up flavors with each bite. Seaweed snacks (or torn nori sheets) are also a must for fellow grazers. I like scooping some of the toppings on top of the seaweed and eating it like a delicious sushi nacho.
This salad has everything that you need in a lunchtime meal. You'll get fiber, antioxidants, and phytonutrients from vegetables. More fiber and healthy carbohydrates from brown rice. Plant-based protein from edamame and hemp seeds, plus healthy fats from avocado. It's hearty and filling, so you'll be good to go until your next meal.
You'll also get the delicious flavors of a sushi roll without the effort.
Seriously, this is one of the easiest meals ever to prepare, especially if you use (thawed) pre-cooked frozen brown rice like I did.
Its also the perfect addition to your packed lunch rotation - just leave the dressing separate until just before you're ready to eat.
You could also easily turn this into a mason jar salad - just add the dressing to the bottom of the jar first. Then add the edamame and carrots. Add the rest of the ingredients, leaving the spinach for last. (The edamame and carrots are hearty enough to be packed in the dressing without getting too soggy. The spinach is the most susceptible, so pack it far away from dressings and sauces.)
Either way, this salad is sure to satisfy and help you break out of even the biggest lunchtime meal rut.
[clickToTweet tweet="A sushi recipe you can actually make at home! Try this #Vegan Deconstructed Sushi Salad Recipe" quote="A sushi recipe you can actually make at home! Try this #Vegan Deconstructed Sushi Salad Recipe"]
Vegan Deconstructed Sushi Salad Bowl with Sesame Ginger Miso Dressing
- Salad Bowl:
- 4 cups chopped baby spinach
- ⅔ cup cooked brown rice I thawed frozen brown rice
- 1 ½ cup shelled edamame I thawed frozen edamame
- ½ English cucumber sliced into strips
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 8-10 seaweed snacks or nori
- ½ avocado sliced
- 2 tablespoon hemp seeds or sesame seeds
- Sesame Ginger Miso Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 2 tablespoon warm water
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup optional
- Add spinach to bowls and top with sections of brown rice, edamame, cucumber, carrots, seaweed, and avocado. Sprinkle hemp seeds on top.
- Add miso and water to a small bowl and mix with fork until combined. Add remaining dressing ingredients and mix. Drizzle over salad bowls and serve. (If preparing salad ahead of time/to-go, leave dressing on side until ready to eat.)