I’m a fairly simple person when it comes to beverages.
Water, sparkling water, coffee, beer, tea, and wine. That pretty much sums it up for me. I always just figured that I prefer to focus more of my energy on “actual” (solid) food.
I mean, we only have so many hours in a day.
But that’s all different now.
Because I finally found the perfect beverage combination of delicious, energizing, nutritious, simple, and fast. (So, a beverage that’s actually worth making.)
The Chia Fresca.
I just “pin” and “like” them instead. (Please tell me I’m not alone…even if you must lie.) 😉
Well, I finally did get around to making my own chia fresca today — and my fairly simple beverage world has been turned upside down.
So refreshing. So delicious. And super energizing and nutritious too.
Plus, just five ingredients: chia seeds, water, watermelon, fresh mint, and lemon.
Seriously the best thing on a hot summer day when you’re looking to hydrate with something other than plain water.
And unlike plain water, chia frescas also offer antioxidants, fiber, electrolytes, energizing carbohydrates, healthy omega-3 fatty acids, and plant-based protein. (Which means you can rehydrate and energize.)
I officially need to add another beverage to my list.
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups filtered water
- 4 heaping cups seedless watermelon, chopped (about ½ medium melon)
- ¼ cup (packed) fresh mint leaves (about one ¾ ounce package)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1-3 teaspoons of your favorite sweetener (optional)
- Mix together chia seeds and water in a large glass and allow to thicken for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a gel forms.
- Add remaining ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Add chia gel and pulse a couple times to mix. Serve immediately or chill in the fridge if desired.
What are your favorites summertime drinks?
Enter your email to get 101 Healthy Meal and Snack Ideas delivered straight to your inbox.