Vegan Roasted Cabbage Caesar Salad is a warm and comforting twist on the supper club classic.
I love Caesar salad. It's one of my go-to orders when I'm out for lunch during the summer, when a cool and crisp romaine salad is just everything I need.
Seeing as it's November now, and I'm right at home in the comforts of my own kitchen, I thought I'd winterize my favorite summer salad with the help of warm, roasted cabbage and a drizzle of creamy, homemade Caesar salad dressing.
I've tried a few different versions of vegan Caesar dressings over the years, but sadly, they always came out a little bit meh. I'm happy to report that with a splash of salty caper brine and silken tofu, I've found my match.
This salad is so good that I found myself grabbing hold of a wedge bare-handed and digging in. (Like a Caesar taco, aka the best of both worlds.)
You're at home. Who needs utensils, anyway?
Vegan Roasted Cabbage Caesar Salad
- 1 head green cabbage, sliced into 1-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup croutons
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts (optional)
- ½ cup silken tofu (such as Nasoya brand)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon caper brine (the liquid from jarred capers)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper
Prepare the salad:
- Preheat oven to 400º F and spread cabbage rounds in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet. Drizzle oil on cabbage and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the baking sheet on the center rack of your oven and roast until tender and edges are browned, about 40-45 minutes.
Prepare the dressing:
- In the meantime, combine dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. (If your tofu isn’t already a pourable liquid consistency, you may need to add 1-2 tablespoons of water.) Set aside.
Plate and serve:
- Once ready, remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer cabbage to a serving platter or plate. Pour dressing on top and add croutons, capers, and hemp hearts (if using).