The whole family will love these Crispy Tofu Nuggets! These healthy tofu bites are made with simple ingredients and baked instead of fried. Serve them with a creamy Lemon Chive Yogurt Ranch dipping sauce for an easy, high-protein vegetarian snack or kid-friendly main dish.
If you're looking for a plant-based alternative to fried chicken nuggets or frozen fish sticks, I've got you! These baked Tofu Nuggets are so crispy and delicious. They make an ideal vehicle for pretty much any dipping sauce.
Serve them as a satisfying, comfort-food snack or make them a part of a complete meal.
This is one of those recipes that you're going to want to bookmark and make over and over again. The options for serving these protein-rich nuggets are literally endless!
- Tofu (extra firm)
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Grapeseed oil (or oil of choice)
- Fresh chives for garnish (optional)
Lemon Chive Yogurt Ranch Dip:
- Plain Greek yogurt (or skyr or dairy-free yogurt alternative)
- Fresh chives
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Lemon juice
Here are the basic steps:
- Press the tofu
- Mix the tofu breading and coat the tofu
- Bake the tofu nuggets
- Make the yogurt dip
Pressing tofu (basically just placing something heavy on top of it) removes the liquid it's packed in and improves the end-game texture. It takes a little bit of extra effort, but it's totally worth it, especially when you want crispy tofu.
Ready my full tutorial about How to Press Tofu here.
Once the tofu is pressed, tear it into bite-sized pieces.
(I like to tear the tofu when I make nuggets instead of chopping the tofu with a knife. The result is a more organic look. You can also use a knife to chop the tofu into squares if you prefer a more uniform shape.)
Before you bread the tofu, start preheating the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
To make the tofu breading, mix panko breadcrumbs, flour, cornstarch, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Next, add the tofu and the oil to the bowl and gently mix with your hands until the tofu is evenly coated in the breadcrumb mixture.
Finally, transfer the breaded tofu to the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until the tofu is golden brown and crispy.
Lemon Chive Yogurt Ranch Dip
While the tofu is baking, prep the Lemon Chive Yogurt Ranch Dip. If you're planning ahead, you can also take care of this step up to five days in advance.
To make this yogurt ranch dip, just mix plain Greek yogurt (or skyr or dairy-free yogurt alternative), fresh chives, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
(By the way, this basic recipe also works great as a salad dressing. Just add 1-2 tablespoons of water to thin it out to your desired consistency.)
I love these with Lemon Chive Yogurt Ranch Dip, but there are so many options for dipping sauces and other ways to use this recipe. Feel free to let your imagination run wild with this recipe!
Here are just a few of the sauces you could use as a dip:
- Yogurt ranch dip (recipe below)
- Barbecue sauce
- Peanut Sauce
- Hot sauce
- Tahini sauce
- Tomato salsa
- Fruit salsa
- Sunflower seed queso
- Marinara sauce
- Bean or lentil dip
- Avocado crema
You can also use these tofu nuggets to add protein and crispy texture to so many different plant-based entree recipes.
Try them in:
- Grain Bowls
- Pasta dishes
- Po' Boy Sandwiches
Meal Prep and Storage
For the best results, I like to serve these tofu nuggets right after they get out of the oven.
When you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days or freeze them for up to three months.
Reheat in the oven until they're warmed through.
- Tofu is an excellent source of plant-based protein.
- Whole milk Greek yogurt contains satisfying fats and protein.
- Lemon contains antioxidants and vitamin C.
- Substitute whole wheat flour for all purpose flour if desired.
- Use plain dairy-free yogurt alternative (such as cashew or coconut-based yogurt alternatives) for a vegan and dairy-free variation.
- Instead of chives, substitute fresh parsley.
- Use your favorite cooking oil if you don't have grapeseed oil.
- If you don't have lemon, substitute apple cider vinegar.
Serve these tofu nuggets with:
- Vegetarian Quesadilla with Avocado Crema
- Quick Pickles
- Fingerling Potato Nachos
- Cheesy Roasted Chickpeas (Vegan)
- Toasted Coconut SunGold Kiwifruit Cups
- Grilled Curry Stuffed Avocados
Frequently Asked Questions
Substitute plain dairy-free yogurt alternative for the Greek yogurt to make the Lemon Chive Yogurt Ranch Dip vegan. The tofu nuggets are naturally vegan and dairy-free.
For best results, serve tofu nuggets immediately. When you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days or freeze for up to three months. Reheat in the oven until warmed through.
Serve with yogurt ranch dip (recipe below), barbecue sauce, ketchup, hummus, guacamole, hot sauce, tahini sauce, queso, salsa, or peanut sauce.
Substitute whole wheat breadcrumbs and whole wheat flour for a whole grain variation.
Crispy Tofu Nuggets with Lemon Chive Yogurt Ranch Dip
- mixing bowl
- Lined baking sheet
- Knife and cutting board
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup all purpose flour or flour of choice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed (see note)
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
Lemon Chive Yogurt Ranch Dip:
- ½ cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt or skyr, or plain dairy-free yogurt alternative
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the Tofu Nuggets:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet.
- Mix panko breadcrumbs, flour, cornstarch, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add tofu and oil to the bowl and use your hands to gently mix until the tofu is evenly coated in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
Prepare the Lemon Chive Yogurt Ranch Dip:
- Stir yogurt, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.