I was in the mood for something festive for the New Year and set my heart on this season's brightest citrus fruits - grapefruit and satsuma orange. This salad is sweet, tart, flavorful, and a breeze to put together.
Over the weekend I found myself on a mission to make something beautiful with these satsuma oranges that I found at Whole Foods on New Year's Day. With their green leaves still attached, I couldn't pass them up.
My satsumas served as a seasonal dining room centerpiece as soon as I got home from the store, but that didn't last long. They're even better for eating.
Satsuma oranges have a sweet flavor and a soft skin that's easy to peel, making them perfect for a healthy on-the-go snack with fiber and healthy carbohydrates.
I combined one of my satsuma oranges with tart grapefruit to create a winter salad that's every bit as colorful, light, and refreshing as it's summer counterpart.
And don't assume this salad's beauty only runs skin deep...
It's also packed with vitamin C (an essential vitamin and antioxidant that's super important for supporting the immune system,) fiber, and healthy fats.
This salad is intended to be more of a side than an entree but you could easily add white beans, tofu, wild-caught salmon, or more pistachios/hemp seeds (or your favorite source of protein) to make this recipe more more filling and substantial.
I had this with some homemade cinnamon rolls for a cozy Saturday morning brunch but it would also work nicely with lunch or dinner.
A salad like this should not be restricted to just one time of day. 😉
Winter Citrus Salad with Watercress, Fennel + Pistachios
- 1 bunch watercress about 1 cup, rinsed and roughly chopped
- ½ grapefruit peeled and sliced horizontally into rings
- 1 satsuma orange peeled and sliced horizontally into rings (or sub with mandarin/tangerine.)
- ½ fennel bulb sliced thinly with mandolin (reserve some fronds for topping if desired)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Crushed pistachios for topping
- Combine watercress, grapefruit, orange, and fennel in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, hemp, and maple and toss with salad.
- Transfer to serving dish and top with fennel fronds and pistachios.
- Serve immediately.
[Tweet "Colorful + Bright Winter Citrus Salad from @gratefulgrazer"]