Wake up to a savory Breakfast Burrito Bowl filled with hearty grains, Mexican-spiced sweet potatoes, protein-rich black beans, and a tangy cilantro-lime yogurt sauce.
(This recipe is sponsored by The Soulfull Project.)
I want to set the record straight right off the bat. I’m calling it a Breakfast Burrito Bowl, but this savory meal hits the spot any time of day.
Oats for dinner. Let’s make it a thing.
Have you tried savory oatmeal yet?
It’s one of my favorites. You basically just treat the oats like you would any other grain you’d use to make a buddha bowl.
I like to use The Soulfull Project’s Hearty Grains & Seeds cereal blend because it’s made with really simple ingredients. Oats and oat bran, quinoa, flax, and chia seeds. (They’re also naturally gluten-free, in case that’s something you’re looking for.)
I was already mixing in chia seeds and flax whenever I made oatmeal from scratch, so this cereal blend makes cooking a full breakfast on weekdays a little bit more convenient. The multi-serve bag is my favorite because I can choose how much to cook based on my appetite that day. There’s less waste than individual oatmeal packets, too!
Of course, I also love that The Soulfull Project donates to a regional food bank with every purchase.
Making healthy food more accessible is an aspect of sustainability that’s too often overlooked, so I really appreciate their mission.
Mixed with a little fresh cilantro, the Hearty Grains & Seeds in this bowl set up a delicious, nourishing foundation. On top of that, I sautéed sweet potato with black beans, spinach, and all the Mexican spices.
If you don’t have a sweet potato, or there’s another veggie you need to use up first, don’t be afraid to make the swap.
This bowl will taste good with pretty much any sautéed vegetable.
The egg on top is completely optional, too.
There’s already more than enough nutrients to make this bowl a meal without it, but if you’re looking for a plant-based substitute, try tofu scramble.
I recommend the egg (or tofu scramble) if you’re someone who’s active in the mornings, or if you’re looking for a breakfast that’ll help you feel more satisfied until lunch. Also if you’re someone who likes to eat eggs. (Because flavor is 100% a good enough reason for me!)
Want to give this Breakfast Burrito Bowl a try?
I shop for The Soulful Project cereal blends at Sprouts, Safeway Denver, and Natural Grocers. You can also order directly off The
Black Bean Breakfast Burrito Bowl
- 2 tablespoons plain unsweetened yogurt (dairy or dairy-free)
- ½ tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon agave nectar (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- ½ cup cubed sweet potato (½ medium)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- ⅓ cup dry The Soulfull Project Hearty Grains & Seeds Cereal
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Fried egg
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced jalapeno pepper
- Chopped green onion
Prepare the sauce:
- Whisk yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, agave nectar (if using), cumin, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
Prepare the filling:
- Add grapeseed oil to a hot skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in sweet potato, chili powder, and salt and pepper. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until sweet potato is tender. Stir in baby spinach and black beans, and cook 2 minutes, or until spinach is wilted. Turn off heat.
Prepare the cereal:
- While the sweet potato is cooking, boil ⅔ cup water and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Stir in Hearty Grains & Seeds Cereal and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 4 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached. If cereal is too thick or dry, gradually stir in additional water as needed.
- Transfer cooked cereal, bean filling, and yogurt sauce to a bowl. Add a fried egg, fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeño pepper, and chopped green onion if desired.
Save this Black Bean Breakfast Burrito Bowl Recipe on Pinterest:
Did you try this recipe at home?
Rate and leave a comment below, and be sure to tag me on Instagram when you share a remake!