I’m a fairly simple person when it comes to beverages.
Water, sparkling water, coffee, beer, tea, and wine. That pretty much sums it up for me. I always just figured that I prefer to focus more of my energy on “actual” (solid) food.
I mean, we only have so many hours in a day.
But that’s all different now.
Because I finally found the perfect beverage combination of delicious, energizing, nutritious, simple, and fast. (So, a beverage that’s actually worth making.)
The Chia Fresca.
I just “pin” and “like” them instead. (Please tell me I’m not alone…even if you must lie.) 😉
Well, I finally did get around to making my own chia fresca today — and my fairly simple beverage world has been turned upside down.
So refreshing. So delicious. And super energizing and nutritious too.
Plus, just five ingredients: chia seeds, water, watermelon, fresh mint, and lemon.
Seriously the best thing on a hot summer day when you’re looking to hydrate with something other than plain water.
And unlike plain water, chia frescas also offer antioxidants, fiber, electrolytes, energizing carbohydrates, healthy omega-3 fatty acids, and plant-based protein. (Which means you can rehydrate and energize.)
I officially need to add another beverage to my list.
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups filtered water
- 4 heaping cups seedless watermelon, chopped (about ½ medium melon)
- ¼ cup (packed) fresh mint leaves (about one ¾ ounce package)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1-3 teaspoons of your favorite sweetener (optional)
- Mix together chia seeds and water in a large glass and allow to thicken for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a gel forms.
- Add remaining ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Add chia gel and pulse a couple times to mix. Serve immediately or chill in the fridge if desired.
Do you make your own beverages at home? Have you ever tried a chia fresca? What are your favorites summertime drinks?