Say hello to your new favorite lunch for spring and summer! Vegan Strawberry Avocado Salad with fresh basil and hemp hearts.
Lately, I find myself indulging in the little things, like a few extra avocados and mountains of fresh strawberries. I'm not sure if it's the warmer weather or because I've been spending more time at home, but either way, I'm going with it.
If there ever was a salad that could be considered indulgent, this is Strawberry Avocado Salad has to be it.
There are sweet and juicy berries, chunks of creamy avocado, and flavorful fresh herbs. And no lettuce. That's right. We're not messing around with any lettuce for this salad recipe.
If you're a fruit-in-your-salad person, I'd definitely recommend giving this one a try. Especially if it's a warm day and you're planning on eating al fresco. On that note, it could also serve as a colorful side dish (and vegan option) for your next BBQ menu.
How to Make Vegan Strawberry Avocado Salad
- Mix the Lemon Hemp Dressing
- Marinate the strawberries
- Arrange the salad
I love to toss this Strawberry Avocado Salad with a zippy Lemon Hemp Dressing.
To make it, whisk extra virgin olive oil, hemp hearts, chopped fresh mint, lemon, agave nectar, salt, and pepper. If you don't have fresh mint or agave nectar, that's okay. You can leave them out.
Once the dressing is made, pour half of it over a cup of sliced strawberries and gently toss until the berries are evenly coated. Then, set the berries aside for about ten minutes so the flavors have a chance to meld together.
Once the ten minutes are up, open up the avocados, remove the pits, and slice them lengthwise into thick wedges. Arrange the avocados on a serving dish with the sliced strawberries, hemp hearts, and fresh basil.
Then, pour the remaining dressing over the salad and gently toss until the ingredients are evenly coated.
Can you Make Strawberry Avocado Salad Ahead of Time? What's the Best Way to Store it?
You can make the dressing up to two weeks in advance. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Avocados are best immediately after they’re opened, but the lemon in the dressing does help to delay the browning process.
If you only need two servings of this Strawberry Avocado Salad, free free to halve the recipe so there won’t be any leftovers.
Are Hemp Seeds Healthy?
A few spoonfuls of hemp seeds contain essential fatty acids and a variety of micronutrients. They also add a mild, nutty flavor to salads and salad dressings.
In case you're wondering...Hemp is a member of the Cannabis sativa species, but eating the seeds won't make you feel high.
What's the Difference Between Hemp Seeds and Hemp Hearts?
Hemp hearts are technically the soft, inner kernels of the hemp seeds, but both names are often used interchangeably. Look for either hemp seeds or hemp hearts in packages or in the bulk section.
What's the Best Way to Serve Strawberry Avocado Salad?
Serve this Strawberry Avocado Salad on its own for a light lunch or make it as a side dish with any protein at dinner. Try adding crispy tofu, roasted chickpeas, or grilled fish.
Strawberry Avocado Hemp Salad
Lemon Hemp Dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint (optional)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cracked pepper
Strawberry Avocado Salad:
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 avocados
- ¼ cup fresh basil, torn
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
Prepare the dressing:
- Whisk extra virgin olive oil, hemp hearts, mint (if using), lemon peel, lemon juice, agave nectar (if using), salt, and pepper.
Prepare the salad:
- Pour half of the lemon dressing over the sliced strawberries and gently toss until evenly coated. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Slice the avocados in half lengthwise, remove the pits, and cut into wedges. Arrange avocado wedges, sliced strawberries, basil, and hemp hearts on a serving dish. Pour the remaining dressing over the mixture and gently toss until evenly coated. Serve immediately.
Looking for More Ways to Use Strawberries?
Try these easy vegetarian recipes:
- Easy Vegan Strawberry Milkshake
- Pistachio Yogurt Dipped Strawberries
- Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Strawberry Oat Milk
- Yogurt Parfait with Chocolate Chia Seed Granola
Save This Strawberry Avocado Salad on Pinterest.
Did You Try This Recipe?
Rate the recipe and leave a comment below, or tag me (@GratefulGrazer) if you share on Instagram. I'd love to hear how it went!
Leave a Reply