If you're anything like me, the official start of spring means its time to start thinking about hiking, camping, picnics, and all other wonderful warm weather activities. (And more importantly, what to eat during them.) This Sweet Potato Hummus Sandwich is a great place to start.
Today I want to share my favorite healthy vegan sandwich with you. Its my favorite portable meal that just so happens to be made with only 7 ingredients, making it perfect for this month's The Recipe Redux challenge.
I think its a pretty big misconception that vegans and vegetarians can't take part in sandwich fun. I've worked with so many people who wanted to eat less meat but were perplexed as to what they would have in place of their cold cut sandwich for lunch everyday.
Luckily, there are tons of meatless sandwich options - all of them brimming with yummy flavors that go way beyond your standard meat and cheese sandwich.
They key to making a great veggie sandwich is (like all other meals) including variety and a balance of healthy carbohydrates/fiber, protein, and healthy fats.
To start, a high quality, whole grain bread. I used whole grain sourdough. Look for one without too much added sugar if you can.
For more healthy carbohydrates, I like including a starchy vegetable like roasted sweet potato. Beyond adding the delicious sweet flavor I can't get enough of, sweet potatoes also provide fiber and antioxidants like beta carotene.
Next, protein. My go-to source of sandwich protein is hummus/bean spread. Use store-bought or take 5 minutes to make your own. (I like to make a batch on Sundays to use all week long on sandwiches and as a dip with vegetables and crackers.)
Then, healthy fats. Specifically, my favorite - avocado. In my opinion, the best way to get the creamy texture without dairy. Avo is also filled with healthy, monounsaturated fats and provides long-lasting energy.
Finished off with some fresh basil, sprouts, and hot sauce, this sandwich is the ultimate in meatless deliciousness.
It's flavorful, filling, packed with wholesome nutrition, and the perfect way to fuel all of your outdoor adventures.
[Tweet "Try @gratefulgrazer's 7 Ingredient Favorite Veggie Sandwich"]
Favorite Veggie Sandwich
- 1 small sweet potato cut lengthwise into thin slices
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- ½ cup hummus store bought or homemade, see below
- ½ avocado sliced
- Handful fresh basil
- Handful sprouts I used alfalfa + radish
- Hot sauce to taste optional, I used Sriracha
- Preheat oven to 400º F and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread sweet potatoes on baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired, and roast until golden brown and tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Toast bread if desired. Spread hummus on each slice of bread. Top one slice with remaining ingredients and other slice of bread to form a sandwich. Cut in half if desired.
- 1-15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp tahini
- ½ lemon zest and juice
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and paprika to taste
- combine all ingredients in food processor and process until smooth, pausing to scrape edges with spatula as needed. Add additional oil if needed to reach desired consistency. Transfer to bowl and store in fridge for up to a week.