There’s no better time than now to share my green lentil smoothie recipe that with a kick of added nutrition from cooked green lentils.
I first tried lentils in a smoothie at a nutrition expo back in October and have been wanting to share my version with you since experimenting with it on my own once I got home.
I’ll admit, I was a little intimidated by green smoothies at first. I thought it would be really difficult to make veggies taste good in a smoothie.
I was so wrong.
The most important step is blending up the greens with a little water before adding the rest of the ingredients. This allows the veggies to break down and disperse throughout the smoothie more easily.
This smoothie is sweetened only with apples, so it isn’t too sweet…exactly what I’m in the mood for after all of those holiday sweets.
I used to include a frozen banana in my green smoothies to up the sweetness and further disguise the veggies. I prefer it without now, but feel free to include a banana or other sweetener if you’d like. Especially if you’re a green smoothie newbie. 😉
For protein, I usually use hemp seeds and/or silken tofu but I’m beginning to realize how well lentils work in smoothies too. They’re fairly neutral in flavor and your tastebuds won’t even realize they’re there.
I have a smoothie like this most mornings of the week. I find that including veggies with breakfast helps me feel great and make healthy choices for the rest of the day too.
The taste is also a (huge) added bonus…
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1 cup packed spinach
- 1 large cucumber peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large apples I used granny smith, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
- Handful ice about 1 cup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp matcha powder optional
- 1 cup coconut water or filtered water
- Add lentils and 1.5 cups water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain any excess water and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine lentils and remaining ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Add additional water as needed to create desired consistency.
HEALTHY-EATING INSPIRATION, DELIVERED
ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO ACCESS MY LIST OF 101 DELICIOUS MEAL AND SNACK IDEAS!