You only need five simple ingredients to make this colorful vegan side dish! Roasted rainbow carrots covered in citrusy maple-orange glaze.
Sometimes the simplest sides really are the best. Fewer ingredients, less chopping and prep work, and more time to focus on the main dish.
Simplifying doesn't mean you have to skimp on color or flavor. I have two main strategies for getting the most out of recipes with five ingredients or less.
- Colorful produce - Rainbow carrots are perfect since you get a few different colors from a single ingredient.
- Ingredients with strong flavors - Zesty citrus, spicy ginger, and sweet maple syrup are all intensely flavored so you don't need much else.
This holiday-worthy recipe is simply roasted rainbow carrots glazed with maple syrup, freshly-squeezed orange juice, a little oil, and a liberal helping of freshly-grated ginger.
I’m honestly a little amazed by how much flavor you can get out of so little.
Can you make this recipe ahead of time?
If you prep these roasted rainbow carrots ahead of time, store them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to five days.
To reheat, spread the roasted rainbow carrots on a baking sheet, drizzle with a little more oil, and roast in a 450º F oven for about five minutes.
- Substitute regular carrots or parsnips if you don't have rainbow carrots.
- Use honey or agave nectar in place of maple syrup (keep in mind the recipe will no longer be vegan if you use honey).
- If you only have ground ginger, substitute 1 ¼ teaspoon for the 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root.
- Instead of orange juice, use lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
Best Recipes to Make with Roasted Rainbow Carrots
- Crispy Tofu
- One-Pot Butter Beans and Greens
- Brussels Sprouts Orzo Pasta
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Chickpeas and Lemon Tahini
- One-Pot Yellow Split Pea Soup
Maple Ginger Roasted Rainbow Carrots
- riimed baking sheet
- 1 pound rainbow carrots, cleaned (1 bunch or about 6 medium)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or cooking oil of choice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 inch piece of ginger root, grated (about 1 tablespoon)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and spread rainbow carrots on a rimmed baking sheet. Place pan on center rack of oven and cook 15 minutes, or until the bottoms turn golden brown.
- In the meantime, whisk orange juice, grapeseed oil, maple syrup, and ginger.
- Once carrots have cooked 15 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and pour half of the orange juice mixture over the carrots. Stir until evenly coated and return the baking sheet to the oven. Cook 15 additional minutes, or until the carrots are tender and browned on the edges.
- Transfer cooked carrots to a serving dish. Pour the remaining orange juice glaze over the carrots and sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving.
Did you try this recipe? Leave a star rating in the recipe card above. Your feedback is appreciated!