Vegan Lemon Oatmeal is a quick and easy hot breakfast with sweet and tart flavors from Meyer lemons. Add toasted nuts and coconut flakes for extra texture.
The weather here in Colorado has been cold and snowy, so I'm swapping out my smoothie for a warm and comforting hot breakfast.
Winter produce is often underrated, but if you seek out seasonal fruits and veggies, you'll find lots of delicious options. Meyer lemons, for example, happen to be available right now, and they add just the right balance of sweet and tart flavors to a cozy bowl of oats.
If you can't find the Meyer variety in your area, swap in whatever lemons are available to you. Either way, with only 15 minutes of prep and cooking time, this Vegan Lemon Oatmeal is worth making whenever you want to start your day with a cozy breakfast that doesn't require too much additional effort.
What are Meyer lemons?
Meyer lemons are a type of winter citrus that's thought to be a cross between regular lemons and mandarin oranges. Meyer lemons are sweeter and more complex than common lemons and they tend to be rounder and have darker, thinner skin.
Use Meyer lemons in citrusy sweet breakfasts and desserts.
How to Make Vegan Lemon Oatmeal
1. Cook the Oats
Making oatmeal on the stovetop is my favorite method. You just need a saucepan. Stir almond milk, grated lemon peel, lemon juice, ginger, oats, ground flaxseeds, and salt in the saucepan over low-medium heat. The oats will start to soften and thicken in about ten minutes. Stir the pot occasionally and cook until the oatmeal reaches the consistency you like.
2. Add Toppings
No oatmeal bowl is complete without toppings. These are my favorite ones to add to this recipe are:
- Toasted nuts (such as almonds and pecans)
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Maple syrup
- Lemon zest
- Almond milk (or any type of milk you have on hand)
How to Toast Nuts and Coconut Flakes:
Toasting nuts brings out their natural oils to get the best possible flavor and texture. It's an extra step, but the process is easy enough, so definitely worth trying if you haven't already.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spread the nuts and coconut flakes on separate baking sheets. (Separate sheets because the coconut flakes may toast more quickly than the nuts.) Bake 5 minutes, or until golden and aromatic. Watch closely at the end to prevent burning.
Can you use regular lemons instead of Meyer lemons?
Meyer lemons are my personal choice if I'm making vegan lemon oatmeal during the winter and early spring months when they're in season. If you can't find Meyer lemons in your area, feel free to swap in regular lemons instead.
You can also omit the zest and use bottled lemon juice if that's what you have.
Because Meyer lemons are sweeter, you may notice that you want more maple syrup if you use regular lemons. Taste and adjust with sweetener as needed.
What's the best way to store oatmeal?
You can store cooked oatmeal in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a week. Add a little more almond milk before you reheat the oats in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Vegan Lemon Oatmeal
- 2 ¼ cups vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon grated Meyer lemon peel (see note)
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon juice (see note)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Optional for serving:
- Maple syrup
- Nuts (such as almonds and pecans), toasted if desired (see note)
- Coconut flakes, toasted if desired (see note)
- Vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- Cook almond milk, grated lemon peel, lemon juice, ginger, oats, ground flaxseeds, and salt in a saucepan over low-medium heat. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until oats are softened. Cook longer if you prefer a thicker consistency. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a minute.
- Transfer to bowls and top with maple syrup, lemon peel, chopped nuts, coconut, and additional almond milk if desired.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 1 week.
A Few More Vegan Breakfast Recipes to Try:
Save this Vegan Lemon Oatmeal on Pinterest
Did you try this Vegan Lemon Oatmeal recipe?
Rate and leave a comment below, or tag me (@GratefulGrazer) if you share on Instagram.